• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck purchase dilemma

buckfever

I don't know what kind of work you do but I can say owning a big truck will either make you a machanic or broke paying one. I've said it before and I'll say it agian, I HATE ON-ROAD TRUCKS. Compaired to equipment they require alot more tlc. The best advice I can give is if this truck you buy is going to be something you plan on keeping for a long time keep up on all the maintanace. Even the little things. When you start letting thing slide it will snowball. Before you know it you will have a truck that is not worth making right and you will could of still been a good truck.

Had this happen to us. Bought a 89 L9000 and over time put a lot of money in the drivetrain. But not taking care of the small things gave use a great running truck that is to far gone every where else.

Seaside LPS

Ohh i know whatever I buy I will be working on, have 3 other work trucks that constantly need attention. I just meant more of I don't want a money pit, I don't want to buy a worn out truck that everything has to be fixed on and that spends more time in the shop than working when I could had spent the money for a bit nicer truck and maintained from there. I am a maintenance freak so no problem there! Just don't want to buy old and cheap hoping to save money just to be putting it all out fixing a tired truck.

buckfever

I hear ya Seaside LPS. Having a good platform to start with is always a pluse. Hope whatever you buy lasts you a a long time without many problems.

Seaside LPS

Can't catch a break, so went and looked at the Peterbilt, so it has over a million miles, was an on road tractor that had a sleeper and they did a ****** job patching the cab when they removed the sleeper, the bottom of the dump was beat to ****. Certainly is not what their asking and is defintely not what I want. Back to searching!

denver m farms

Occupation
Farmer/cattle buyer/ construction/excavating
The other part of buying a little nicer truck, is when you do have to work on it, you are putting money into a truck that is still worth something, rather than spending money on a truck to keep it going that you will never see again.

lj98

I would never consider a highway truck with a sleeper that has been removed.The front axle is never heavy enough for the wheelbase with a dump bed.8LL trannys are great for dump applications especially in reverse,up hill,around the tree,watch out for the septic tank,etc.

johndeere123

Some trucks with sleepers do have heavy front ends. I know of some companies that spec 20,000 fronts in all of their highway trucks.

Hawkeye

I have owned many dumps and I know everyones situation is different. All my used trucks were Ford LT 8000 and KW T800's, all great trucks, but like all trucks, constant money pits and too much down time. I ended up buying two new Sterlings in 2002 after figuring what my repairs and down time was costing me. I sure don't regret this decision. If you can't buy new, buy used and budget in complete component rebuilding as needed. To me rebuilding a cheaper older truck is better than spending more money on a slightly used newer truck that may need the same repairs. No one has said anything about boxes, but I would not have one with cross members if all possible, Good Luck

buckfever

No crossmembers:eek: Around here unless you only haul gravel or mulch those unitized steel beds get all bent up. Same goes for aluminume. Out here we have about 6" of dirt then nothing but rock.

Hawkeye

No cross members with the AR 400 steel floors, the only way to go, I don't care what your hauling. Better to have the bends front to back then side to side ripples. The side to side ripples hold dirt, rock whatever your dumping, will never clean out even with a vibrator. Your right about the aluminum. If you would haul mainly dirt, 3/4" plastic liners are the only way to go, vibrators are nothing but trouble. Good Luck

Last edited:

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
I have a 96 Pete with over 1M miles, and a 07 KW with 130K miles. Things are going to break eventually, and they're going to be repaired/replaced. Then they'll be new again. IMHO a huge factor is who you've got driving them.