• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck purchase dilemma

Seaside LPS

The only way I would buy it is if they would pay to get it inspected. For that price it should be damb near road ready.

Thanks I thought the same, hard for me looking at these when Im not a good mechanic and don't really know anyone who is. they said they were using as a site truck the past 4 years means to me they were loading the **** out of it.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I am the owner of a dump trucking business and if you are just starting out, get something you can pay for. I dont like Volvo engines (just my opinion) everyone that I know that has one, complains about the cost of engine repairs
I really like Detroit 12.7 engines, 11.1L have a bad rap and dont seem to last as long as the 12.L
The Cat C12 is my favorite engine, three of my quad axle trucks has this engine
I dont like the newer Cummins ISM, etc, but the best engine Cummins ever made, was the Big Cam 350/400
In the last 13 years I bet I have owned 15 Ford L9000 trucks and everyone of them were great trucks, of course the Sterling replace them and I feel the same way (except the crappy dash)
My best truck ever was a 88KW T800 quad, Cummins L10, 10 speed. I keep this truck 5 years, longest ever, I would have liked more power, but it done the job
KW T800, Ford L9000, Sterlings are my favorite
I have owned several converted road tractors, they were OK. I will never buy another air ride dump truck, HUMMMMM bad memories
Buy a truck with, dump truck suspension
If you dont know how to inspect a truck, bring someone with you that knows what they are looking at. I gave this info to another member about a year ago and he didnt listen. He believed the seller, not always a good idea and he spent a bunch of money on the truck
Im almost finished
checkout three major things, ENGINE, TRANNY/CLUTCH, SUSPENSION
It really doesnt matter what year the truck is, ITS the condition of the truck that matters. Just because its a 2001 Vs a 1995 doesnt matter to me
Dont buy, just because its pretty
85 model is getting a bit old, just buy a truck you can afford, they all are going to break down and you need to have a reserve, to pay for this break down (new or old)
Im finished, but I could write more

johndeere123

The only thing that would turn me off the Ford is the light front end, and the fact that body parts are not getting any easier to come by. The Pete is a truck that you will have no problem finding parts for, and you well have some creature comforts. The box on the pete looks to be in better shape than the one on the Ford as well.

Seaside LPS

Thanks Willis, keep going if you want, I am new to this, I own 2 medium duty truck but found they are totally different and I am open to any input or suggestions.

I never ever trust a seller, they want it gone for the most money, I barely trust anyone defintely won't trust what the seller says. I don't care about pretty exterior because no matter what it will get painted to match my fleet. I am looking for something I can pay cash for, went round and round and don't want to take money out to pay for this want to pay cash. So my budget is about $20k I have been looking about 5 months got real serious in the last 2 Ill find whats right for me will just take a bit of hunting

Seaside LPS

john deere I am headed friday or monday to look at the pete, have a buddy to ride with me to check it out i will be interested to see it in person.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I believe johndeere likes Pete trucks
I had one, like the one in the pictue and I sold it in 2 months. I could turn circles, with the LTL Ford, Ford and Sterling always seemed to me to have a sharper turning radius
walker beam suspension is the best in my opinion also, but make sure the bushings are not worn out, that could be about a $1700 repair

johndeere123

Pete is defiantly not my favourite truck. I like the Freightliners and Kenworths the most. I just think the Pete is the best truck to buy out of this bunch.

nedly05

I don't have a lot of experience with anything other than a mack. I know a lot of guys don't really care for them, but we have had good luck. Don't hesitate to look at an older R model, they are tough as nails and will last forever. Make sure you check (with any truck) the frame rails on a double frame, look for separation between the flanges where the rust is pushing it apart, also look where the rail meets the flange, they will split and break right there.

nedly05

This is the sort of thing you want to watch on the frame. Never ever take anyones word for it, I bought this truck through DJD associates, and I took his word, which is obviously no good.

Attachments

• post-4710-0-67393600-1358020312_thumb.jpg
    post-4710-0-67393600-1358020312_thumb.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 400
  • 74 inner frame pass. side.jpg
    74 inner frame pass. side.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 412

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
Are you sure the front end on the Ford is a light front end?
I have owned 2 LTL tandems and two LTL quads and they all had the heavy front axle. If this was a converted road tractor, it might have a lighter front end. You dont need 20,000 lb front axles for a tandem, that carries 15 ton
Back to the Pete and the LTL, they both have the long hoods and I never liked the long hoods, trying to get into small driveways. This is just what a driver likes
As far as parts for a Ford, unless its crazy old, you can still get parts, Freightliner bought out Sterling and that where I get my parts. There are lots of salvage yard to get parts also.
Yea I like Fords
Watch out buying trucks out of your State, it can be a hassle, unless you have someone with dealer tags, or you are buying from a dealer
I have a guy/dealer in Richmond Va, that has two great looking Ford L9000 tandems, Im not sure the year maybe 1995. If you are interested send me a PM and Ill send you his cell number. I dont know anything about the trucks except, they are white and nice looking. He can give you a trip permit, to get you across the state lines

Seaside LPS

Nedley, Have never liked DJD I talked to them a few years ago when I started my search for an excavator, did like the way I was treated when asking for more pictures before making the 3 hour trip to look at the machine, never called again. How did you fix the frame?

Willis there is actually a big truck parts yard 2 towns over from me they have a ton of parts for older trucks including 9000, well I found a could more trucks in VT 3 hour trip each way to go look at, one dealer has 3 trucks, 95 pete tandem, 88 l9000 tandem and a 91 freightliner tri axel. Would like a tandem but in the price is right a tri axel might not be too bad.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
I was looking on Craigslist for your area and I didnt see alot of dump trucks and what I did see were very very high priced
I really dont like Freightliners (but I have one) I guess its the LOOK thing As I said, I dont like long hoods. The Freightliner I have is a 2000 Fl-112 quad, it has the short hood
It doesnt turn like my Sterlings and KW's, but its OK
Try to find trucks from a private party, like Craigslist, that cuts the dealers markup out.
I hardly ever buy a truck from a dealer, if I do I really need a truck in a hurry
Im sure if you stay 1990 and newer you will find parts for any truck
If the Triaxle has a steerable drop axle, and the price is right. I would say go for that one
Make sure the dealer inspects the truck for you

Seaside LPS

I was looking on Craigslist for your area and I didnt see alot of dump trucks and what I did see were very very high priced
I really dont like Freightliners (but I have one) I guess its the LOOK thing As I said, I dont like long hoods. The Freightliner I have is a 2000 Fl-112 quad, it has the short hood
It doesnt turn like my Sterlings and KW's, but its OK
Try to find trucks from a private party, like Craigslist, that cuts the dealers markup out.
I hardly ever buy a truck from a dealer, if I do I really need a truck in a hurry
Im sure if you stay 1990 and newer you will find parts for any truck
If the Triaxle has a steerable drop axle, and the price is right. I would say go for that one
Make sure the dealer inspects the truck for you

Trust me I am search craigslist every day, the dealer in VT is more of a fix it shop that sells trucks only selling older ones not like a dealer that sells new. I would much rather buy from the owner than a dealer. Not a fan of the long hoods

nedly05

Nedley, Have never liked DJD I talked to them a few years ago when I started my search for an excavator, did like the way I was treated when asking for more pictures before making the 3 hour trip to look at the machine, never called again. How did you fix the frame?

Well the truck was supposed to have a 300 with a jake, but it ended up being a 237 no jake. That was a huge issue too. It was going to cost me 6-8 grand to repair the frame just to have a truck with no power up or down hill. I mulled it over for a long time and found a guy that would take it on trade toward a skid steer.I lost a lot of money, but now I have something I can use at least. Lesson learned!

Seaside LPS

Well the red ford sold for full asking which i never would had done, but when one door closes another door opens http://maine.craigslist.org/cto/3667572073.html
give your opinion, I can pay cash on it, I am sure it needs work says tires and lights but I am sure there are other things, Any insight or area to look at? I like that it has a jake brake and pintle which the other did not.

Thanks and Nedley atleast you learned a lesson, things don't always go as planned but if you can take something away usually that is payment enough.

Willis Bushogin

Occupation
owner
ford dump truck

Im not too proud to own older trucks, I am currently looking at buying a 88 KW T800 quad
Older trucks seems to have more issues, that need to be corrected, than the newer ones
Its a pretty big engine, for a tandem truck. This was one of the toughest engines ever made, they still make this in the electronic version
I wonder if its a converted road tractor?
I would check the rears real good, for wear
Check the tranny to make sure it shifts OK and doesnt jump out of gear
Looks like a LTL9000, so its got the long hood thingee
If it has A/C Im sure it doesnt work (this is not a issue, you can add a aftermarket, that works better than factory)
single frame or double frame? Ford did come out with a heavy frame, that they said was better than a double frame. It looks different, than a regular frame, its alot taller and then when it gets to the front tandem, it narrows back to the standard size. So it doesnt have to be double frame, to be OK
Check the walker beam bushings, if you dont know how, ask us
make sure there is no water in the oil
make sure there is no oil in the water also
motor mounts (leave the brakes on and with in gear ease out on the clutch (not all the way) watch the motor to see if it moves over or the gear shift lever moves over)
Of course check the frame for cracks, usually around the cab areas
These older trucks seems to have alot of issues with the heater/defrost controls, the cables are either broke or froze, fan switch doesnt work
The usual stuff
I dont know the prices of trucks in your area, but if that truck was in my area it would be about $6500 max

Last edited:

Seaside LPS

well after up all night thinking, I rarely ever sleep! I think it is wiser to get rid of my Ford f550 and use money from that to buy a newer truck where I will have less problems. I am worried with an 80's truck I will just be wrenching on it all the time and I am not paid to be a mechanic. So will refocus my earch to 95-2000 years in good shape and lower miles and looking at Kenworth, peterbilt and mack as all three have parts and service close by.

Raildudes dad

I work for a county highway dept.with roughly 100 dump trucks. We quit buying any truck with a double frame 30+ years ago. The road salt gets between the 2 pieces and rot out the frame. For quite a few years, GMC did not offer a single frame and we ended up with a fleet of 95% Ford L8000's and 5% IH. Those L8000's were good trucks for us. Getting rid of the last one this year. I bought my 87 LTL9000 a few years ago by being patient.

nedly05

I hear you on not wanting to be wrenching on it all the time, but you need to expect to have to do some wrenching if you own a big truck, new or old you are going to be wrenching, just not as much on a new truck. We just got an '06 F550, they are a lot of truck in a little package!