• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck mounted excavator

Dr Komatsu

I know of a Komatsu Pc130-5 that was on a 8 wheel skip motor, it had no undercarriage fitted but was mounted directly to skip bed and could be dropped off and positioned. It had an rotating mulcher head and was used by councils to break up wooden waste and pallets in recycle centers in the Highland & Stirling Councils.

We had it dropped off in one of our bays for some repairs a few years ago by the truck and collected again. Would not of liked to drive it though with a due to the high c.o.g.

Greg in KY

Outside my print shop is a railroad. Just saw a hoe mounted on a machine that rides the rail with a gondola car in front and behind.
It had a magnet and was picking up baseplates and stuff where they had just replaced some rail.

Too far to tell what brand. It was painted orange with a white cab. Stick and arm were both about 25".

Operator was slick.

Graham1

Dr Komatsu, I'd forgotten about that sort of design. There used to be one going round recycling centres near us. Purpose built thing, green with straight stick and dipper and a compaction wheel on the end. Haven't seen it recently though. Our local recycling centre now has an ancient rubber duck that they use to beat the rubbish down in the skips with the back of the bucket - there's progress for you.

Graham1

roadbuilder6, that is really weird. I thought the truck cab was out of shot, but looking at the Pierce Pacific site it doesn't have a separate truck cab, they have fabricated a truck style undercarriage and swapped it for the standard tracked one. Good picture, but way too extreme/expensive for me.
Here's a link to more detail http://www.piercepacific.com/carriers.php

Axle

Occupation
electronics tech
Graham, maybe a Japanese right hand drive import will be more MOT friendly.
1993 Mitsubishi Canter.

Attachments

• Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.01.jpg
    Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.01.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,225
  • Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.11.jpg
    Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.11.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1,238
  • Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.10.jpg
    Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.10.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,162
  • Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.03.jpg
    Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.03.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,231
  • Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.04.jpg
    Mitsubishi Canter 1993 3.3L excavator.04.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 1,171

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I myself wouldn't mind having an excavator mounted on a truck. I've looked into the Gradalls and always found them to be a bit on the expensive side at least for a newer one and kinda big. But something like that Japanese Mitsubishi Canter would be nice provided you could move it around the site from the seat of the excavator part like a Gradall.

excavator49

We build it

Hi, can anyone help? Last week I saw a long reach excavator mounted on a Man 4x4 truck on the A96 heading out of Inverness towards Elgin. It looked like the slew ring had been bolted directly to the body. Both excavator and truck looked brand new. This sort of set up would be ideal for me, although probably slightly smaller and older.
Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing, have pictures or know anyone who has done it? I’ve seen Gradall telescopic ones, but these a not common in the UK, so was looking for something more conventional.
Many thanks

Hi Graham,
this is Sigi Kuhn from Echle Hartstahl in Germany. We build truck mounted excavators. Base truck is MAN, the excavator is MECALAC. The truck can be driven during the work from the excavator-cabin. My mailadress is: s.kuhn@echle-hartstahl.de, our website is: www.echle-hartstahl.de

susumo

Graham1,
We have built some on SUV's. The main problem is with Chassis of SUV as it is never strong enough to take excavator loads. Our web site is www.susumoe.in