• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck heating up

suladas

Well finally got an update, he went ahead and pulled the head. I was in a rush and didn't have time to really ask but from the sounds of it no tests at all, just went right ahead and pulled the head. Not what we talked about, ruling out the air compressor was all he was going to do because even in his words it might not be worth fixing. Had head sent out didn't hear anything on it, said at first glance the engine seemed to look good.

I do hope the engine is in good shape and can be fixed to last a few years for under $10k and then i'll be ok with it, otherwise he might have removed the head on his own dime. Still not overly thrilled, I wasn't even totally sure if I was comfortable having him do engine work on it, considering he's screwed up a few things on basic repairs.

suladas

Have you talked to Badger truck parts or other truck wreckers to see if they have a used engine? I don't particularly like the attitude at Badger but they have a lot of trucks. Red Ram I think is another truck wrecker around Edmonton you could try.

I never called any, I don't want to gamble on a used engine without any paperwork of a recent rebuild or one with very low hours. By the time it was put it I bet any decent engine would cost me $20k minimum and it could blow tomorrow.

Welder Dave

It's very possible to have a good engine in a wrecked truck. See what warranty they would offer. Maybe the engine could be run and tested. You're guessing instead of inquiring which doesn't cost anything. I've seen lots of used engines with warranties and guarantees. Some even have maintenance history. Worth looking into in my opinion.

Truck Shop

You have a good point WD. IMO it's better to repair what you have at least you know what's in it.
Like in Vetech's thread a rebuilt engine with sour/dummy paper work.

Welder Dave

I agree with fixing what you have IF it makes economic sense. If it's going to cost 20K+ to rebuild but you can get a tested used engine with a warranty for 10K or less I think it's worth looking into. Every engine isn't ruined in an accident.

suladas

Finally got update, the head wasn't too bad, but the liners (I think it is) are flush and not .3 thou over or whatever they need to be so a new head gasket would fail in short order. Said a full rebuild and a few other repairs on the truck would be $20-25k so i'm going ahead, but problem is parts are a month out. That also includes pulling the engine and resealing pump, etc to get rid of all oil leaks. Fixing fender, rust on cab floor, etc few other minor things as by then it needs a new yearly inspection.

In the end it's the best way to go I think, adding $25k to what this truck was worth as-is (maybe 10k being generous) wouldn't come close to buying me a decent truck. The wait sucks though, probably be without it for another 6 weeks so it's going to cost me more money borrowing truck until then.

Only thing I forgot to ask was about warranty, and just to confirm it's rebuilding absolutely everything. If i'm spending this much, I want to know 100% I will never have another worry about the engine.

suladas

I agree with fixing what you have IF it makes economic sense. If it's going to cost 20K+ to rebuild but you can get a tested used engine with a warranty for 10K or less I think it's worth looking into. Every engine isn't ruined in an accident.

It may have may sense prior to tearing down engine, but i'm guessing the bill is already around $5k, and so much of the labor is already done it makes more sense just to fix this engine.

suladas

There was a similar 1992 Western Star dump truck on Kijiji in Red Deer. I think it was listed for 30K.

Thing is, that truck is probably similar to mine when I bought it and needs a million little things that i've already done to mine, it wouldn't make sense to jump to something like that.

I've done all new drums, shoes, steering, alignment, box cylinder, 4 tires, new seat, etc etc so many things that I know will last forever.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Once that money is invested, a serious setback expense looks bad but once done do not have worry of those previous repairs.

Welder Dave

Thing is, that truck is probably similar to mine when I bought it and needs a million little things that i've already done to mine, it wouldn't make sense to jump to something like that.

I've done all new drums, shoes, steering, alignment, box cylinder, 4 tires, new seat, etc etc so many things that I know will last forever.
I just saw that truck and thought of yours.

suladas

Still waiting on quote before I go ahead because I want to know exactly what he figured on, but i'm wondering how far should the rebuild be going to make sense without going overboard? From my guess it's just the basic overhaul he was including, plus redoing all gaskets. No rebuilding fuel pump, keeping turbo, water pump, oil cooler, etc. I think $30k is the number where it's the tipping point for me, if it starts to get much above that it's getting too much to justify. There is also a crack in the bottom frame rail between axles on passenger side, the part that baffles me is i'm 99% sure it's been there since I bought it or at least a few years, so 3 different shops passed the inspection with it there but he said it has to be fixed before passing and he missed it last year, and said likely could just clean it out and weld it up but it's a grey area if DOT would be ok if they ever saw it. A few things like that are giving me pause about fixing it, seeing as it's old and not pretty it's just a big red flag for DOT, even though i've yet to get pulled over it's going to happen one day.

In the event repairs are too much, what is a reasonable amount of hours for a head gasket? I know he said 1 bolt broke but other then that it come off smoothly. If I don't go ahead and just get him to put it back together to throw through auction I don't want to get screwed on the bill.

suladas

That's good to know, I just didn't want to put all this money into it and have DOT put it out of service saying it's not ok.

suladas

Well guess I don't have to worry about the frame repair, he just went ahead and disassembled the rear suspension and welded it up on his own accord i'm betting that alone is $2k easily. Went by earlier and have to say i'm glad he wasn't around because I would have lost it as they haven't stopped tearing things apart. On monday morning I asked him to stop on the engine and access what it needed for the cvip (which should have been done before ever tearing into the engine), and to give him time to get the engine quote (it's been a week now and still no engine quote), and that I was concerned if repairs hit a concern number I wasn't going to go ahead because it didn't make sense. Monday afternoon I come by and the axle shafts are pulled and starting to remove the suspension for the frame repair.

I also don't want to hear "oh we're not looking at brakes, etc because they are easy and just consumables". I know the brakes are fine but it's not the point. You bet I want them looked at. I wanted EVERYTHING looked at so I know what the worse case bill is.

Not to mention no engine parts that are 4 weeks away are ordered (at least they better not be), and still no quote on it. If the truck is going to be 2 months or more from being fixed it really doesn't even matter as I can't wait that long and will have to buy another truck and this one will be unsellable if it's fixed.

I texted him asking what was going on as he's very deep into repairs without knowing it it makes sense to fix it and his reply was "the frame was the main concern". Like who's truck is it? Who's paying the bill? The person who makes that call is the one paying the bill.

Am I being unreasonable that I expect to be updated before doing any repairs and wanting to know what it's going to cost? It's at the point now where there is no going back, I bet the bill if it was put back together now would be $10k or more and yet I have no idea what the cost to fix it is.

suladas

That's some shady ****. Sometimes things need to be disassembled to properly quote/diagnose but I'd say he's overstepped that line for sure.

I totally get that, like to access the crack all that stuff did need to come apart and it's the right way to do it, but give me a number of what it will cost as well as a cost on everything before digging into it further. We spoke on monday about if it was worth fixing or not, why would you think it makes sense to start on more repairs before that decision was made? Clearly he thinks it's his decision to make.

It's not the first time either, the last cvip he just took the truck in did the repairs and gave me the bill at the end. No approval or anything. Granted it was minor the bill was like $1700 including inspection I still wasn't pleased. No other shop has ever done that, everyone always called after doing the inspection and gave me an estimate on costs. Never in a million years did I think he'd pull the same BS with a far more in depth repair.

I'm going in there in the morning and going to make it crystal clear not to touch the truck again until I have a full quote on repairs and if he doesn't listen i'm done. His options will be repair the truck complete for under $25k, buy the truck, put it back together and whatever I get for it above what I think the value was before it was started he can have, or box up the parts and i'll take it elsewhere.