• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck heating up

suladas

They are looking at the truck on monday to know for sure, but the more I think about it, I don't think I want to put the money into it to do a rebuild. If it could be nearly $30k alone for the engine, then while i'm at it I better make sure things like the rad, gauges, on and on are all operating properly with a new engine and it could get out of hand quick and end up $40-50k not to mention the time it would take to do it all. If i'm going to be that kind of money into a truck I want a nicer cab and a bigger dump box (it's only about 13 yard compared to 15 yards most others are) and to try and get those things on mine would just be insane to put that kind of money into it.

Buying anything else just doesn't seem feasible with what's available, i'm really thinking my only option is gambling on the international. At least if the maxxforce went and I had to spend $45k putting a Cummins into it, then it should be a solid truck and need nothing else major for a long time, whereas I could put $45k into my truck and a rear end, tranny, clutch or whatever could go next time and i'd never be able to sell it without taking an astronomical loss on it.

The only exception I think to where I would fix it is if I could find a recently rebuilt engine to put in that was low miles, if I could get that done for like $15k then it would make sense. Buying a used engine otherwise doesn't make sense for me as labour would be so much and it could blow tomorrow.

Would a head gasket sealer be worth a try or is it a waste of time? Even if it could buy me a year it would be huge. Let truck prices come back down to reality and get more use out of the money i've put into the truck.

suladas

I am still undecided on what to do. No matter what it has to be reliable and that's my biggest concern and i'd really like to spend under $100k, but I also want something decent to drive. The current truck is ok, but it's pretty crappy being in for hours at a time and i'm ok with spending a few extra bucks to be more comfortable, I really don't want to be like $80k into a truck like that. Also ontop of the motor i'd need 4 tires, to make the cab air ride, possibly re-bush the rear suspension to pass inspection in feb which could easily be $10k. I am going to ask mechanic what he thinks about it, but his comment was if it's head gasket it's not worth fixing, he did the inspection last year so he knows the truck a bit.

The international i'm thinking is worth $45kish. I've been trying to get my dad to list it for awhile, then it would be easy to get a better idea on a fair price. But based on similar auction prices i'd say that's a pretty fair price.

There is nothing under $100k that doesn't have 400k+ miles, most are far beyond that and just stupidly priced, some trucks they are asking like 50% more then similar trucks went for at last Ritchie Bros sale. The only possible option I see on another truck is a old highway tractor and take my box and hoist to put on it. But even any tractor is priced pretty high.

Of any truck i've found these 3 are probably the most reasonably priced, but so much more then I want to spend.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=1642617220

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details.html?adId=m4543268

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-heavy-trucks/calgary/tandem-dump-truck/1644443537

Last edited:

cfherrman

Got any pics of your truck and the international?

Really I think you have a good plan and I think the international might be really cheap. I own a 6.0 and know about the 6.4 and they are really maintenance heavy, might be the case with the maxxforce engines as well. I would definitely keep your old truck and fix it and keep it as a spare, you won't have to fix it right away.

suladas

Got any pics of your truck and the international?

Really I think you have a good plan and I think the international might be really cheap. I own a 6.0 and know about the 6.4 and they are really maintenance heavy, might be the case with the maxxforce engines as well. I would definitely keep your old truck and fix it and keep it as a spare, you won't have to fix it right away.

Here's a pic of both, the int one is a few years ago but still the same basically. The WS is far from pretty which is why I really don't think it's worth the $$ into it. I do agree the int is a good deal, the motor sucks and maybe the wiring too but it's got a allision 3500, same diffs etc as the other trucks that cost 3x as much for the same year and mileage. Also I feel it has far more value to me knowing it's history right from new and knowing it's not a major lemon and nothing covered up. Only tough part I think is going to be deleting it, doesn't seem to be a lot of support for deletes since all the clamp downs.
IMG_2425.jpg IMG_0137.jpg

suladas

If it runs good, why open up a potential can of worms deleting it?

It seems to be the consensus they run better deleted and the emissions causes a lot of the engine issues, at least from my research on them. The EGR cooler leaked before and the head had to come off the truck for a $20k bill at around 125km so I really don't want that to happen again.

Don.S

Not to change the subject but why do you guys out west run such low boxes and nothing over the cab? I can never figure that one out.

suladas

Not to change the subject but why do you guys out west run such low boxes and nothing over the cab? I can never figure that one out.

The international is a 15 yard box and filling it level with reasonably moist clay will make it pretty much at legal weight so no reason for any bigger box and the height makes it nice for loading with small equipment. I don't get the box portion over the cab, never seen a reason for it, just extra weight. I will never swing over the cab.

Welder Dave

A dump truck on the road isn't the same as a rock truck. You don't dump right to the front because there's usually a roll up tarp there. I have an older lower box and it suits my needs because I can load it with a skid steer if required and I can also look out the back window and see where I'm going if necessary. It's a 15' box so can still get a full load.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Having driven both styles I prefer the old lower side box, can see what you are loading to, no need for drop axles and extra maintenance, not gaining all that much material for size against weight of load. A Coal box in TN is 24 yd as coal is light it fills pretty much entire box, a standard depth here with a legal sand load is about 80% full. As to road stability I did not ever enjoy driving the Star I was with the local company where had been lightened suspension wise for capacity of product hauled, just squirrelly on the road.

suladas

Definitely don't get rid of that western star. Fix it eventually.

How come? I really can’t justify 2 trucks, I might put 5k miles on a year. I’m sure I could borrow the int for a month or two and get the WS fixed properly, but don’t want to buy if I’m fixing mine.

4x4ford

Occupation
aunts on the strip Currently drive a 1951 chevy pa
This came up for sale near me I know nothing about other than what’s posted

Attachments

• AD63FB92-25D3-406D-8F64-E1679432DB1D.png
    AD63FB92-25D3-406D-8F64-E1679432DB1D.png
    8.9 MB · Views: 30

suladas

Leave it sit until get a little cash ahead, THEN consider fixing where if anything is Sellable at a better price than scrap or Salvage.

Money isn't a concern that way, truck is paid for and I can buy a new one without any funds from selling this one. My biggest concern is just having a truck that works as lost days from a broken truck add up fast. I wouldn't have an issue holding onto it, thought not sure about fixing it unless it's the truck I want to keep. Insurance, extra yearly inspection, plates, etc add up pretty quickly on an extra truck.

Welder Dave

Have you talked to Badger truck parts or other truck wreckers to see if they have a used engine? I don't particularly like the attitude at Badger but they have a lot of trucks. Red Ram I think is another truck wrecker around Edmonton you could try.