• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck Driver Hit Power Line, Should He Be Fired?

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
Had a good experienced driver take out a overhead power line the other day. Was not rushed, in a hurry. Had all the time in the world to get out and look, He was just not paying attention.

What are all you're guys's policies on recklessness/stupidity like this?

werkhorse

How many good experienced drivers have you got to replace him if you do fire him ? Everybody makes mistakes and your bull sh##ing if you say you don't....last comment not aimed at anyone just a general comment....was he needing to look at other obstacles in his way? Was he distracted by some hot chicky babe wandering past? Lots of things out there to take your mind off the job.

Note: these are just my thoughts without knowing the details.

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
The more experienced I get, the less I am able to condemn my staff for their stupidity because I am constantly reminded of my own...

:pointhead

Tinkerer

I have seen trucks and equipment take out power lines, and semi trailer trucks (several of them) rolled over due to operator error. Like Scrub Puller said it is not likely that they will do it again. Now if you fire the person and replace him or her with a new driver that has never had an accident like that ,it would seem to me that the likely-hood of the new replacement doing the same thing has a greater chance of it happening again. The attitude and work ethic of the person involved should enter into the decision also. Out of all those accidents I saw, or were working with on the same site, only two of them were fired.

FSERVICE

did you send the driver for a drug test? that's the first thing that usually happens!! depending on results is the answer. then if negative you can think if he stays or not!!! that's the way it works on every jobsite iv been on anyway

Randy88

First question, how did the driver handle the situation, take full responsibilty for the screw up, blame someone else, try to figure out how not to confess it or laugh it off, then go from there on how to handle the situation.

Anna Dawson

Banned
Occupation
Writer
Had a good experienced driver take out a overhead power line the other day. Was not rushed, in a hurry. Had all the time in the world to get out and look, He was just not paying attention.

What are all you're guys's policies on recklessness/stupidity like this?

He should be fired immediately as he can be panic for those who drive safely and keep the rules obeyed. Not punishing him can demoralize the others who really work honestly.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Anna really? If the driver gets along with the other employees firing this one can destroy moral. In part cause they loose a work buddy and because they can see themselves making an honest mistake and getting canned too.

To the OP, as others have ask, distracted? Drug test? Accepted responsibility?

Rick

lamarbur

Charter Member
Occupation
part time excavator/backhoe operator
a lot could be from not paying attention and many times this isn't really the case.. I owned and operated long haul for 18 years, One time in Detroit I backed down a long alleyway, took down an electric line between the buildings,, I honestly didn't see it when I looked first. Anyway, after unloading a DEC 10 system, which takes about 6 hours,,, The electric company came back and replaced the wire in the exact same spot, I took it down again on the way out,, The owners of the building threatened to sue and all sorts of jirations,, When the electric company came back I asked why they didn't follow laws that dictate the wires at sag point be at least 13.8 inches off the ground,, The building owners then finally backed down,, THey had never had a delivery prior to me much bigger than a one ton truck.. I assume the wiring was brought to code,.. SO a lot of reasons can happen in taking down wires,, Something I wouldn't fire a guy over unless problems start happening one after the other,

dabsfabs

Was he being banked by a banks person. Main thing was anyone injured or killed.

They who say they have never had an mishap, mistake or accident are either lying or never done a days works in there life.

Mani think he live's to tell the tale. Friend of mine knows someone who didn't.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
First question, how did the driver handle the situation, take full responsibilty for the screw up, blame someone else, try to figure out how not to confess it or laugh it off, then go from there on how to handle the situation.
Agreed. If he raised his hand and took responsibility for it and had a good prior safety record then that should should all count in his favour. On the other hand weaselling and/or trying to blame someone else would result in an immediate spearing if he worked for me.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
What is your company policy on such things? if it is automatic dismissal and he is a great operator. Put him in the truck explain that you value him as a person and employee but he knows the rules and that you must let him go. Add that you will also give him a good job recommendation when and where he chooses. If you will hire him back in a year or 6 months tell him so. Just my 2 cents....

3steps56

Everydriver screws up sooner or later. Just a fact. The longer you drive,the more truck and driver unfriendly places you go. I took down a power line in a small town because cop directed me to use a side street. State highway/main street closed for school parade in middle of the afternoon. No advance warning of any kind. My opinion no city or town should allowed to close the state highway main street through town for such things. Hit power line at small town fuel stop. Line to low going going across lot. In 22 years of trucking I have hit my share of tree limbs too. I have also had to truck down county roads and farm roads not fit to use for a pick up or average size farm tractor. I have also been on log yards and job sites where the only way to get 18 wheel truck and trailer in or out was to be pulled or pushed by a large piece of equipment.
If he has been with you for a long time and has a good record I would say give a break. To quote an old saying hiring new people is like digging in a barrel of apples, the deeper you dig the more bad ones you find.

Graham1

These things happen, but if he owned up to it and he's a good driver he will be more careful in future. If you sack him your other drivers will try and cover up any problems to avoid being sacked and that usually leads to a worse situation in the long run.
Graham

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
did you send the driver for a drug test? that's the first thing that usually happens!! depending on results is the answer. then if negative you can think if he stays or not!!! that's the way it works on every jobsite iv been on anyway

This mentality absolutely makes me want to defecate on these " holier than thou" employers.
To assume that one must be on drugs in the event of any mishap / accident before any of the facts are known is complete crap. When all else fails, a pee test will surely point out the guilty one.....right?
Once upon a time, men handled their business issues like men. Face to face, eye to eye with a mans word and a hand shake. Today, most men (employers) lack the testicular fortitude to handle things like a man. Instead, they use the "drug test" method to fire someone without having to facing them (like a man).

dozerman400

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
Accidents happen, I have had my share. I think having safety talks once in a while is a plus to remind everyone to value life,limbs and property's.

briscoetab

Occupation
Mechanic Formen and Equipment operator
Well, on the drug test thing it is a DOT regulation I believe, if it happened on a public road. The employer has to do one but I could be mistaken, not going to take the time to look it up right now.

One attitude I have come to hate is all accidents can be prevented; this to me has started to become the norm when talking about safety. All accidents cannot be prevented; I believe they can be minimized and reduced. I hate when something happens and people want to do a accident cause analysis’. To me this started out as a good thing, it started out as a way to prevent accidents. Now it is a way to pin point who to blame and fire them or initiate disciplinary action.

Back to the topic, to me this is a personal decision based on your employee’s performance and work ethic. There is not a one size fits all when dealing with this kind of thing.

From what I can gather I would not fire him, especially if he owned up to his mistake. He needs to realize what he did and what the consequences could have been. If there is not a pattern of this kind of behavior then he should not receive any kind of action against him. At worst he should be put on probation or something along those lines but I wouldn't even do that if he is a good employee.