• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Truck drifts trailer around corner

sandy

Occupation
diesel mechanic

Pinned by Dash Cam Owners Australia

Dash Cam Owners Australia

12 hours ago
Description: Back / Neck broken in 7 different places, Front seat snapped all bolts and landed on top of baby seat in rear, luckily no child in car that day. Driver is recovering well and back on the road now. Chambers Flat rd, Chambers Flat.

skyking1

I was looking a t it from the US perspective of left hand drive at first. It is indeed incredible that the driver survived. When you see what the car's impact does to the trailer in the aftermath, that was a tremendous hit.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
That has always been a barstard of a bend. Could have been fixed when the road was upgraded with some super elevation. That said every corner has limits. So do idiots like this truck gear jammer who couldn't drive a nail.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I think the fact that the truck driver locked up the rear trailer brakes which caused the drift made things worse than if he had just freewheeled through the curve.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
Well if they’d have been driving on the right side of the road it would have been avoided.:)
The right side of the road here is the left.:D

Truck Shop

I have watched this several times today before replying.

Having experience cleaning up wrecks. My best estimate of the trucks speed watching it through the trees
before it enters the curve 55 to 60 mph. From the time the driver in the car sees the truck is over the line
to impact I stop watched it at 2.6 seconds. I repeated it several times and came up with same figure.
It wouldn't matter if the driver was legendary Jackie Stewart in the car. It took all if 1.2 seconds of the total
2.6 seconds for the trailer to loose traction and swing into the on coming car.

If someone thinks they possibly could have avoided that horrendous scene-Then they would have been
the only one to face off Wild Bill Hickock and live to tell about it.

skyking1

That is a tough decision to commit to in a second. I will post up a video where somebody did it, but it was in an intersection so they did not have to sell the car into the trees.

suladas

Maybe not 100% avoid it although if the driver was really paying attention it would be quite likely, but the fact that they didn't react in braking or steering at all is really weird. If that isn't enough time for someone to react and do something, they shouldn't be driving because their reflexes are way too slow.

Truck Shop

The driver of the car did try to avoid, they steered well over the fog line and braked. Which probably
would have been enough until the trailer inertia over came the traction and it was instantly in the
drivers face.

skyking1

yes he missed the front of the truck and thought he had it made.
This video @2:40 the guy was lucky to be in an intersection, but unlucky to be at the top of a rise.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
The driver of the car did try to avoid, they steered well over the fog line and braked. Which probably would have been enough until the trailer inertia over came the traction and it was instantly in the drivers face.
The thought crossed my mind whether or not the result of the impact as seen on the dash cam was maybe a better outcome from a "crumple zone" point of view in that the rear end of the trailer struck the front RH corner of the car.?

It occured to me that if the car driver had steered more to the left but not made it all the way off the road might the swinging rear end of the trailer have then sideswiped the car somewhere around the driver's door area and could that impact potentially have resulted in even worse injuries to the driver than the ones he actually sustained in the crash.?