1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Truck drifts trailer around corner

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by sandy, Apr 27, 2022.

1. sandy

sandy Well-Known Member

diesel mechanic

[​IMG]
    Pinned by Dash Cam Owners Australia

Dash Cam Owners Australia

12 hours ago
    Description: Back / Neck broken in 7 different places, Front seat snapped all bolts and landed on top of baby seat in rear, luckily no child in car that day. Driver is recovering well and back on the road now. Chambers Flat rd, Chambers Flat.

2. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Bloody hell, that makes you think, I was driving there just after lunch today.

3. Queenslander

Queenslander Senior Member

Obviously doing a bit more than the posted speed limit.
    0F39C550-AB7B-472B-93FD-B3616F771243.png

Nige and 56wrench like this.
  4. Tags

Tags Senior Member

That video makes me feel like vomiting….that fact that no one is dead is mind boggling

56wrench likes this.
  5. Nige

Nige Senior Member

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
    Er, what makes ya think that..? :confused::confused:
    Was it something to do with the speed he approached the corner.?
    For US viewers remember the limit sign is in km/h, so the posted limit is just over 35 mph.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2022
  6. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I was looking a t it from the US perspective of left hand drive at first. It is indeed incredible that the driver survived. When you see what the car's impact does to the trailer in the aftermath, that was a tremendous hit.

7. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    That has always been a barstard of a bend. Could have been fixed when the road was upgraded with some super elevation. That said every corner has limits. So do idiots like this truck gear jammer who couldn't drive a nail.

DB2 and Nige like this.
  8. Mobiltech

Mobiltech Senior Member

Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
    I think the fact that the truck driver locked up the rear trailer brakes which caused the drift made things worse than if he had just freewheeled through the curve.

9. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    Well if they’d have been driving on the right side of the road it would have been avoided.:)

Spud_Monkey and Acoals like this.
  10. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Yep, and taking the corner just a bit slower.

I'm amazed at the car drivers persistence to stay on the road, sure they are in the right but it doesn't do you a lot of good if you are paralyzed or dead.

old-iron-habit, Nige and Tones like this.
  11. Tones

Tones Senior Member

Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
    The right side of the road here is the left.:D

Nige likes this.
  12. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Here as well..........

13. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    I have watched this several times today before replying.

Having experience cleaning up wrecks. My best estimate of the trucks speed watching it through the trees
    before it enters the curve 55 to 60 mph. From the time the driver in the car sees the truck is over the line
    to impact I stop watched it at 2.6 seconds. I repeated it several times and came up with same figure.
    It wouldn't matter if the driver was legendary Jackie Stewart in the car. It took all if 1.2 seconds of the total
    2.6 seconds for the trailer to loose traction and swing into the on coming car.

If someone thinks they possibly could have avoided that horrendous scene-Then they would have been
    the only one to face off Wild Bill Hickock and live to tell about it.

14. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

That is a tough decision to commit to in a second. I will post up a video where somebody did it, but it was in an intersection so they did not have to sell the car into the trees.

15. suladas

suladas Senior Member

Maybe not 100% avoid it although if the driver was really paying attention it would be quite likely, but the fact that they didn't react in braking or steering at all is really weird. If that isn't enough time for someone to react and do something, they shouldn't be driving because their reflexes are way too slow.

16. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

I wonder how the truck that was behind the car fared.
    Looked he went for a wild ride !

17. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    The driver of the car did try to avoid, they steered well over the fog line and braked. Which probably
    would have been enough until the trailer inertia over came the traction and it was instantly in the
    drivers face.

skyking1 likes this.
  18. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

yes he missed the front of the truck and thought he had it made.
    This video @2:40 the guy was lucky to be in an intersection, but unlucky to be at the top of a rise.

Truck Shop likes this.
  19. Nige

Nige Senior Member

The thought crossed my mind whether or not the result of the impact as seen on the dash cam was maybe a better outcome from a "crumple zone" point of view in that the rear end of the trailer struck the front RH corner of the car.?

It occured to me that if the car driver had steered more to the left but not made it all the way off the road might the swinging rear end of the trailer have then sideswiped the car somewhere around the driver's door area and could that impact potentially have resulted in even worse injuries to the driver than the ones he actually sustained in the crash.?

Truck Shop likes this.
  20. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Very good thought Nige.