• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Troubles with Wacker!!!

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
I'm really not sure if this is the right heading for this post, but here it goes!!

I purchased a Wacker cut off saw last August and 10 months after I purchased the saw it just up and dyed in the middle of a cut. After figuring out it was getting spark and fuel and still would not run I sent it in because Wacker has a 1 year "bumper to bumper" warranty as they call it.
I was not happy to say the least as what has went on since....
I had also purchased the cart for the saw last November at an additional cost of $620.00 over the the $950.00 price tag on the saw and figured as much as I used it and as vital as it to me I should buy a second saw. Wacker has no saws available for sale because of a head problem and they are not sure when any new saws will be available.

After speaking to a wacker rep. he told me that they are not sure if it was a problem with the head itself or in the assembly. The shipment of new heads to the U.S. is also delayed by the flooding in the Midwest and that would also include the parts to fix mine. Needless to say I'm S.O.L.!!!
I now have 950 in as saw that doesn't run; 620 in a cart that can now be used as a boat anchor and a company that is willing to provide me with a couple of diamond blades for my inconvience......while I'm renting a Partner saw at $45.00/day for the past 2 weeks.

I told the Wacker rep that the 2 blades would be great if he'd come out and spin them for me.

What to do????? Have had really great luck with saw until it died; Do I switch brands and buy 2 saws and the cart for them, wait for the Wacker to get fixed and sell it and the cart???

I'm just confused about the situation because I am a small business and can't afford to have about $1600 tied up in something and get my ass left hanging out in the wind.
Any input would be appreciated for my frustration!!!!

special tool

So you are $450 out in rent?

I have a Stihl 760 that I bought new in '91.
Must have 10,000 hours on it. Runs like new.
I have a couple 350's also - they NEVER fail.

I would suggest you buy a new Stihl, or Husky - there really is no serious competition for these 2 names.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
I don't know how to help with a poorly supported product...this is my number one factor in new purchases. It was only last week my wife and I were talking about what good service we've had from our laser, saw, compactor etc...then the dam laser broke down.....courier picked it up a few hours later and it was back the next day...a $20 drive belt. Good service for a good product.

I've been running the Husky saw for around 5 years now and it dry cuts reconstituted limestone every other day...its hell on air cleaners. But that saw runs like a clock, starts everytime. If it were me I'd try the new Husky/Partner rather than throw good money after bad...JMHO:beatsme

The only really bad purchase I've made was a cheap pressure washer...what a waste of money...next time I'll get the Honda with the german stainless steel pump and be done with it.

joispoi

If you can´t get service today when you need it, what is going to change that will improve service tomorrow? You may want to consider buying another brand, especially if your rental bill is getting hefty. Get those blades if you still can.

ASPHALT04

Occupation
The local business I recently started going to is actually a husky/partner dealer. He was the one who helped me find a way to get ahold of the wacker rep. and he has been extremely helpful and kind of went out of his way for me. :notworthy
I am actually thinking of switching to a 960 husky with 16" blade, but that means to that I have to buy another cart and sit on the other saw and cart until its fixed and I can sell it. What a deal!! :Banghead
I'm learning more and more everyday customer support is just as important as the product you buy!!

landrvrnut22

Occupation
Field Superintendent
There is an old saying, "Service is remembered longer after Price is forgotten."

9 times out of ten, it is better to spend a little more money for a better product with better support than to get a good deal and left out in the cold. You have $1500 in a boat anchor. Do yourself a favor, go buy a quality saw, and ditch the boat anchor.

I would go to the Stihl dealer, and play lets make a deal. Tell them you will switch to Stihl, you want to buy this saw, with these accessories for this much money. They might bite.

stumpjumper83

Occupation
Movin dirt
Stihl knows they are #1 in the market. You might get them to budge if they have been settin on inventory for awile, but prolly not. I tried shoping around for some chainsaws awile back, and no luck. Kinda like here is the price or there is the door.

TriHonu

I'm with Special Tool; I have a TS460 and a TS350 (and a couple of Stihl chainsaws). They all have provided great service. Locally I have a number of places to get service and parts.

I also have a Wacker Plate Compactor and a Wacker Jumping Jack. So far they have been reliable. The plate has a Honda motor. I was going to re-ring the jumping jack since the compression was getting pretty low. The service center gave me a long ear-full about it was just going to be a waste of time and that I needed to replace the jug, piston and rings. Quoted me about $350 in parts and gaskets! I decided to just run it. It is still running, just a little hard to start. I never thought to ask about parts cost and found out that Wacker is expensive.

When buying the tools that make you money, service is just as important as purchase price.

JJK

Get the Stihl, they won't let you down. Tell the sales rep. you want him to buy back the saw & cart and ship you two free blades for the trouble and threaten to spread the word. Also give him a link to this thread. It will get him to move ASAP.

As far as Wacker compactors, I've ran some pretty beat-to-h3ll ones and they had no problems

telescooper

I don't know what to tell you about your wacker saw. I think that the Stihls are tops. We use them, abuse them and they still start and run great. The new carts are designed great and putting the saw in them requires no fasteners or tools. Sorry about your luck. I wouldn't try to trade it in, but I would suck it and get stihl.
Telescooper

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The local business I recently started going to is actually a husky/partner dealer. He was the one who helped me find a way to get ahold of the wacker rep. and he has been extremely helpful and kind of went out of his way for me. :notworthy
I am actually thinking of switching to a 960 husky with 16" blade, but that means to that I have to buy another cart and sit on the other saw and cart until its fixed and I can sell it. What a deal!! :Banghead
I'm learning more and more everyday customer support is just as important as the product you buy!!

I just bought a new Husky/Partner 960. It was hell to start the first time but runs like a champ now.

MY hired help such as it is locked my Husky up the other day. My fault I did not explain the difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke. The guy was oblivious, had no clue. That was a $1K lesson in oil mixing. That saw was on its 5th year. Good saw once it got broke in, would make a hellva boat anchor now.

ASPHALT04

Occupation
I ended up buying the Husky 960 this week. The Wacker deal is still up in the air becuase they are saying possibly another 2-3 weeks just for the parts!! I couldn't be without a saw for that long.
I know everyone one was suggesting a Stihl.... the larger company I used to work for had them and I did not care for them that much, they seemed a bit under powered and I don't like rear handle positioning the way the Stihl is set up. (But thats my :my2c)
I really like the Husky and my skirmish with "Wack-hore" is far from over! I will keep posting my progress with them if and when it happens. Thank to everyone for all the input.:)

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
sorry about the bad luck with the saw , but I bet if you raise enough hell with them, their managers and even their headquarters they would probably bend over backwards to make it right , but if not try and get as much money back from them and buy a STIHL as earlier mentioned

alco

I've spent most of my time with chainsaws, so it may prove to be a bit different than with a cut off saw. My experience has been with Husquvarna, Stihl, and Johnsered. In my opinion, the Husky is by far the easiest saw to keep running reliably. I find no matter what you do to them....with the exception of having your swamper leave the saw laying where the skidder can run over it, but that's another story all together.......they seem to keep running without having to tinker with them and constantly adjust them. They do have a higher vibration level than the Stihl, but it is a worthwhile tradeoff to me. The Stihl is a very nice saw, but they tend to be more finicky and need more frequent attention to keep them running at the top of their game. I won't even go into the Johnsered saws...hopefully that says enough about them. Honestly, I think the Husky is the better, more durable choice.

Brian

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
In my opinion, the Husky is by far the easiest saw to keep running reliably. I find no matter what you do to them....with the exception of having your swamper leave the saw laying where the skidder can run over it, but that's another story all together.......they seem to keep running without having to tinker with them and constantly adjust them. They do have a higher vibration level than the Stihl, but it is a worthwhile tradeoff to me. The Stihl is a very nice saw, but they tend to be more finicky and need more frequent attention to keep them running at the top of their game. Brian

That is exactly our experience, and I think you can put that down, to some extent, to the larger, better air cleaner on the Husky. At least on very dusty work anyway.

glsahl

Charter Member
Occupation
equip.mngr/mechanic
we've had a wacker bts-1035 for nearly five years,most common problem has been blockage of the exhaust screen.cutting pvc,or cement pipe,requires constant cleaning of screen.my favorite process involves heating the screen with a torch,then using compressed air to remove ash,field mechanic "fast fix".plugged filters,poorly mixed gas,and abused decompression valves are other routine problems i've run into.cyl kits,with neccessary gaskets,usually run about $400.00+.i've had to change two,due to lean gas,mixing 25-1,avoids that,but,keep extra spark plugs handy.
can't tell you how many stihl ts400s i've seen come,and go,since we bought this saw,close to 12.stihl seems a little "sensative" to fuel mix,plugged filters,and blade stall.
try wackergroup.com,spare parts,manuals,dealers,are easy to find.have your serial number handy.apco equipment in north las vegas,nv,is who i deal with,never had a part more than 2 days away.we have 3 rammers,1 plate compactor,2 generators,and the 1 sawall of which are more than 5 years old,and still work,every day.50+ hours a week.

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Time to update!!!
Got saw back last Friday seems to run OK for a saw that has had a months' vacation!!
I'm still waiting on the Rep. to give me a call (tic-toc) about giving me the couple of blades for my inconvenience.

The 960 Husky is working great w/ one minor glitch.....the drive belt was a bit loose and my knuckleheads smoked it and then tried to tighten it up while hot snapping the belt. I went back to the dealer and grabbed a belt for it which was the wrong one (Regular guy was out for the day). I got back to put it on and called them when I realized it was the wrong belt and they sent a guy across town to bring me the right one!!!
It all comes back down to that saying "Service is remembered longer after Price is forgotten.":)