• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trouble Starting TD-8E

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Having problems starting an '88 TD-8E. This machine was running fine a couple of days ago, but now it "clicks" when the starter button is pushed.

Specifically, I'm hearing nothing but a click sound coming from what appears to be a "starter relay" mounted on the left side of the engine: ABOVE the starter/solenoid. To clarify further, the starter relay I'm referring to is not part of the starter/solenoid, which is located about 8" below the unit I'm referring to.

I'm no dozer repair expert, by any means, so my reference to the phrase "starter relay" is only a guess. The part I'm referring to is wired directly to the alternator on one side and has various wires connected to it (from other locations). This part is round (about 2" in diameter), about 2.5" long and is painted yellow.

I'm in a real jamb here, so I would appreciate any productive feedback or suggestions.

Thanks for your time,
HandLogger

Auctioneerhere

Check all your battery connections first.

I am not sure of what kind of starter solenoid it has, so unless you post a picture I can't offer advice there.

heavylift

Solenoids need a certain voltage to operate, first thing is to clean the connections.
check the condition of the battery.
Make sure you are getting battery voltage to the solenoid. 12+ or 24+...12 volt system won't engage with less than 10 volts

dadsdozerhd5b

sounds like the clicking part may be a glow plug relay or relay for the sttarter solenoid. what you can do to get it running is look directly at the starter. it will have a solenoid on the top of it. there will be a large battery cable coming to one of the large terminals. check to see you have 12 or 24 volts to it, which ever voltage your machine is. now, there will be another large lug with a wire or copper strap going into the starter. this is large amperage power to turn the starter. there will be 2 smaller terminals. these are for the solenoid engaging coil. one is power, one is ground. you need to see where they go. usually, the ground goes to the ground lug on the end of the starter. if this is the case, take a jumper wire from the large lug coming from the battery to the hot lug of the starter solenoid coil. the starter should turn. if the jumper wire comes from the positive battery lug on the starter to the solenoid hot, jump ground to the other solenoid terminal. the starter should turn. if this is the case, your wiring has a problem. if it just clicks or hums but does not turn over the engine, your starter is bad. be sure the engine is not seized by pulling the fan to turn it over. good luck

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Our TD-15C's had the same thing..pretty much always the selinoid located on the left side, quick fix. But check all your wires and connections as well.

Trbo

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
Here's what's been tried (so far) ...

The first thing we tried was using heavy gage jumper cables (two sets in parallel) connected to a pair of batteries in a Cummins diesel truck, to no avail. The next thing we tried was taking the pair of existing 12 volt batteries out of the TD-8E, cleaned the battery terminals and installed a known good pair of 12 volt batteries in place of the originals.

Although I didn't have a meter device to work with when I was last on the site, I did have the next best thing: a voltmeter in the instrument panel. The voltmeter I'm referring to indicated about 13.5 volts, with the known good batteries installed, so I'm assuming that the machine operates with a 12-volt system.

As I mentioned in the original post, the only thing that happens when the START button is depressed is a single "click" coming from the yellow cylinder-shaped electrical device located ABOVE the starter/solenoid. In other words, the device that's producing said single click is separate from the starter motor/starter solenoid combination (the solenoid on this machine is mounted directly to the top of the starter motor).

dadsdozerhd5b: I will be sure to write down your suggestions and give them a go as soon as I get back to the work site.

EZ TRBO: I notice that you used the word “solenoid” as a possible cause/solution to this issue. Are you referring to the device that’s riding directly on top of the starter motor or, conversely, are you referring to the yellow electrical device located about 8-inches above the starter motor assembly (on the left side of the motor)?

Thanks again for your time …

Last edited:

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
Hand logger...my bad i didn't mean the selinoid but the relay that on our 15's was located forward for the dash(so back of dash in the engine compartment Somewhat round, black and has 2 or 3 studs for wires on them. If i get our to our 15 soon i'll snap a photo.

Trbo

Sometimes what i call somthing isn't what it actually is, lol.

HandLogger

Occupation
Forest Land Management
I didn't want this thread to stay "open" -- like so many threads do -- so I'm writing to follow up on what ended up happening here.

As the machine in question doesn't belong to us, we only went so far with the troubleshooting work. In the end, the fella that owns the TD-8E came up the hill, rapped on the starter motor with a hammer -- and the machine has started ever since.

I've seen this done plenty of times in the past, but, as I already mentioned, I'm only going to go so far with the repair work on someone else's machinery -- especially when it comes to using the old "blunt wrench."

So that's the solution -- as temporary as it may be -- so I think we can call this thread officially CLOSED.

Thanks to those who took the time to respond,
HandLogger :)

Last edited: