1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

trouble starting my generator

Discussion in 'Generators/Gensets' started by IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI, May 27, 2020.

1. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI Member

I'm having trouble starting my generator after following the timing procedures. the whole engine has just been overhauled.
    it a john deere engine 4045TF150

2. MarshallPowerGen

MarshallPowerGen Well-Known Member

Diesel & Generator Mechanic
    Are you getting fuel at the injectors? Is it trying to start or just cranking over? Mechanical or electronic injection pump?

mg2361 likes this.
  3. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

yes I'm getting fuel at the injector
    it's only cranking, no sign of starting.
    it's an electronic pump

4. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Equipment Mechanic/Technician
    Welcome to HEF Iyanuoluwa;)!

Engine serial number?

You said following timing procedures? Timing gear timing? Injection pump timing? Both?

Do you have a service manual?

Did it run before the overhaul?

Paul Council and Vetech63 like this.
  5. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

yes i followed the timing procedures (both gear and injector)

i have a service manual, it's what i used to set the timing

Attached Files:

6. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

and, it's was running before the overhaul

7. MarshallPowerGen

Putting the engine tag into Powerassist shows that as a mechanical pump engine.

Does it have a black ECM mounted to the block next to the pump? Important to know since the DE pumps use all the sensor inputs and ECM to control pump operation, while the DB2/4 or inline will run off of how it was mechanically timed with the engine.

What was the reason for the overhaul?

mg2361 and DMiller like this.
  8. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

the reason for the overhaul was; the engine lost its output power, no compression at all. it would take forever before it starts.

i just discovered that I'm not getting fuel at the nozzles and the output pressure of the injector is low. I think i will have to get the injector and nozzles checked out. After the repair, i will re-time and try and start the engine. I will inform you how it goes.
    Thanks to everyone for your help, I'm honored

9. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

@MarshallPowerGen - I checked the build codes for the serial number and the engine has a DB4 mechanical injection pump.

Are you getting a good fuel supply to the injection pump? Also I would have recommended to have the injection pump rebuilt/replaced and new injectors installed as part of the overhaul.

Which manual are you using?

10. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    iTS really is ASTOUNDING HOW MANY PEOPLE dont SERVICE THE INJ PUMP & INJECTORS AS PART OF AN OVERHAUL..!!
    {Sorry cap locks}
    They are the heartbeat of the engine..& no matter how expensive your parts are or how many engines you've rebuilt, if the pump isnt up to par & the injectors are "pizzing" fuel rather than atomizing it, the engine will NOT start..
    & lately, the pumps & inj's "I've" been getting have the same scenario behind them.. The customer rebuilt the engine, took him about 1 YEAR.!!! & didnt get the P & I tested/rebuilt & wondered why it wont start..
    A> by the time I get the pump, the insides are varnished & every moving part is stuck & has to be driven out w/ a brass punch & hammer.. & the injectors are stuck/varnished closed..
    & thank their lucky stars that the pump DIDNT pump fuel.. or else the pressure from the inj. pump woulda backed up in the lines & seized the very expensive head & rotor..
    & that brings me to my next point..
    U said it pumped fuel & now u say it doesnt.. U may very well have seized the pump..??

92U 3406 and mg2361 like this.
  11. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

@thepumpguysc
    I already have the pump sent to a pump guy, waiting for a reply from him.
    I will love to ask, is there anything else i should take note of or check before the pump gets back.

12. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

Attached Files:

13. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Yes,
    Buy a NEW set of OEM injectors as thepumpguysc suggested.

14. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

alright, thanks

15. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

pls i need help troubleshooting how water seeps into my john deere generator engine block from the radiator. I've just overhauled it.
    i don't know what I'm missing out

16. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

pls i need help troubleshooting how water seeps into my john deere generator engine block from the radiator. I've just overhauled it.
    i don't know what I'm missing out

17. MarshallPowerGen

"Water" in the oil, or in the cylinders?

18. IYANUOLUWA ADEWUMI

19. Paul Council

Paul Council Senior Member

Either from the engine oil cooler or from the vulute for the water pump on the timing cover. Is this engine mostly rtv and no gaskets but the head gasket and valve cover gasket?

20. mg2361

mg2361 Senior Member

Did the engine have coolant in the oil before the repair? Has the engine been started? Did the coolant get into the oil without running the engine? Do you have oil in your cooling system? Engine oil cooler issues will put oil into the cooling system. But since it easy to access I would still check it. The timing cover and the water pump on that engine have no coolant connection through the cover to oil unless your water pump failed and ate through the cover or your cover is cracked at the water pump outlet area. Another possibility is a freeze plug just above the camshaft on the front of the block under the timing plate. I think (if I recall correctly) that plug seals a coolant passage. So that leaves either a liner o-ring getting cut on assembly or possibly a damaged head gasket.