• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trojan 2000z opinions and parts

chansey

Occupation
Retired Project Engineering Manager
Hi All,

I have had several Trojan Loaders of over the years and have been very pleased with them and all have been basically trouble free. They were branded as O & K in Europe and Trojan in US. I do all of my own work and repair when ever possible rather than replace.

I just recently purchased a 1989 1700Z for $3,000 and 90% rubber. I knew it had a engine problem when I purchased it. I had the injectors repair as the barrels were completely loaded with carbon. Started the loader and no engine knock, plenty of power and all hydraulics worked great. No cylinder leaks any where.

After 10 minutes or so, the knock started as a slight rattle and then into a full knock. The Deutz 5 cylinder is 100HP. I am now contemplating a repower with a Cummins 4BT. A few years ago we repowered a 1900Z with a Cummins 6BT and operated extremely well. One can end up sinking a ton of money into a Deutz rebuild.

I also purchased a 1996 Scat Trac (Volvo) 1700C for $2,000 that had the Perkins 1004.4 rebuilt and had been sitting for 8-10 yrs. Over the years, the oil pan, side drive plate, radiator and oil cooler had become lost. Used a 1973 Ford truck radiator ($40), Hayden Oil Cooler ($60 on Ebay) and drew up the side plate on AutoCad and plasma cut from 3/8 plate ($52.00) and purchased a door latch from the dealer ($72.00). The original oil pan was cast iron with a large sump (deep) and min I could buy one from a dealer was $1,150. I purchased one from a local machine shop for $30, split it and welded in a 2" extension to get what I needed. Fired it up last week and runs really great, excellent power. Need a dip stick and have one minor seep from a fitting on the pump.

Point is that some times you have to be innovative to get what you need and you don have to spen a ton of money doing it.

Any opinions on the Trojan repower?

Paul

Last edited:

BillG

Before you get to excited about doing a repower remember that the cylinders were full of carbon from the bad injectors. If it were mine I would concentrate on clearing the carbon first. Carbon can do a multitude of things that many folks would attribute to mechanical problems. If enough exists it can change compression and also change the´combustion.

chansey

Occupation
The knock on my F5L912 in the Trojan loader was a rod after all. On cylinder #3, one of the rod bolts had come loose and .......

Crankshaft cleaned up at .020 on the rods and .010 on the mains. Ready to start reassembly.

I always try to be prepared for the worst case and had purchased a rebuilt 3.9 Cummins Reviva for $1,500. It has a P7100 pump and 130 HP. I'll save it for the next project

4BT FH.jpg4BT LH.jpg4BT Reviva Plate.jpg

As for parts, I needed 3 torque converter drive plates. MinPar wanted $225 each and 6 to 8 weeks for delivery. Sierra Machinery in Albuquerque is now a Volvo Equipment Dealer and used to carry Trojan and Scat Trak equipment. They kept their contacts and suppliers active and were able to drop ship the 3 drive plates for just $27 each in 4 days.... Huge savings. Every two weeks they restock inventory and if you can wait, their is no freight charge if your order is shipped with the shop order.

Paul

Last edited:

PBSL0420

have a 3000 trojan front loader found parts in Batavia NY he had a good supply.but does anyone know what could be wrong with our steering ...we replaced the valve body and still no steering...HELP PLease any suggestions??????????

Did you replace the orbital valve

PBSL0420

I have a 91 2000Z I was thinking bout converting the brakes. We always have issues with the calipers its a snow machine. I know there must be some other caliper that would work??

chansey

Occupation
I notice that quite a few forum members are looking for parts manuals. Minnpar has them online for free and list many past and present loaders.

Go to http://www.minnpar.com/manuals.asp

The machines are in alpha order but you won't find Trojan listed. Need to find O & K Trojan to find your book.

Enjoy

Paul

Last edited: