• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trimble Terramodel Users ?

longjrla

Occupation
Highway Construction Survey Dept. Full Time, Resid
I was wondering if anyone on this forum just so happens to use Terramodel by chance? If so, the SG manager specifically with a provided Engineers Fishish Grade surface, is what I want to pick your brain about. Most of the work I do are highway projects so I just can't drop the FG surface for SG, I need daylights.

For sh!ts and gigs, if your not using the SG Manager, let me know if you use Terramodel in general. I'm currious to see the # of people out there, probably most of them contractors, not Microstation designers.

Thanks.

Newbee

Terramodel SG Manager

I'm involved in "Data Prep" for 3D systems and I use Terramodel and other software packages for generating files for Trimble 3D System.

I've ONLY used Terramodel, so I'm not a good judge on other packages. Here in Australia it seems 12D is the CAT of the CAD market? Every Engineer I deal with seems to have 12D?

We mostly make FG surfaces, but do model Sub-Grade surface for customers from time to time. I do have SG Manager but haven't used it in ten 10 years I've been doing this.

Nornally I generate a FG surface else use the one provided, then in Surfaces in Roadjob I add that Layer. Then I make another Roadjob using same HAL, but make a 2nd VAL but offset to sub-grade depth (register as 2nd VAL). Make shapes etc and put a Tie Shap on end to "Tie" to FG surface to generate then Sub-Grade surface.

I do believe that the SG Manager is a handy tool but I've always been to busy to propely explore it.

longjrla

Occupation
Newbee,
Man I miss the good old days of just creating the FG surface. That was way before quantity calculations became just as much, if not more important, than creating a surface for machine control and survey stakeout. I too have been doing the same procedure of droping the Val and creating a new roadjob from time to time myself, pending my project situation. This method gives better point/breakline/code carateristics as compared to the SG manager, but then you have to merge surfaces or clip and relayer the individual surfaces.
Recent projects I have been working on are very poorly designed and/or not completely designed. This results in several additions and revisions throughout the project, including Hal, Val, pavement width alignments, super elevation, side slopes, ditches, etc; well pretty much everything. Not to mention, point density is a nightmare, imagine a 12 mile 4 lane divided highway with certain breaklines having a point spacing of 0.1m, yea, huge file sizes. I'm sure you know all the modifications and assignments that need to be made with any change, overwhelming. Using SG manager, surfaces can somewhat be easily created using the Parallel to surface feature, only having to make sure the road hal and val, and outer most hard feature, such as edge of paved shoulder (2d alignment only) are correct. When you Generate DTM, man the graphics look ugly, not good for background files or sending the surface back to the owner for approval (no breaklines or codes)
What I am trying to do is similar as if you were to assign the provided FG surface as to the "finish surface" in surface manager with the slice box checked. When you generate the DTM, it looks ugly (points and breaklines all over the place), but all the points have a description, same as what they were in the provided FG surface breakline name, and wherever a point was generated from crossing a triangle, no code assigned. This isn't too bad, since you can export a csv, sort the csv by description, add a begining of breakline code, re-import the csv, and then draft linework from points. My question, is there a way I can do the same for a SG surface? Is there a way to assign point descriptions to the SG surface points created in SG manager in the same manner as generating a surface from slicing another surface containing breakline names? I have a feeling that I'm screwed with this, and have to do it the time consuming way.
Thanks and happy modeling, Larry

freakz

What software is out there for creating final grade surfaces?

I use Topcon 3d office and have just purchased AutoCad Civil 3D. Im curious on what software you guys use and is it compatible with Topcon?

Newbee

CAD Software

I currently deal with Trimble gear and so use Trimble software Terramodel, SiteVision Office and Trimble Business Centre-HCE. All these packages produce Trimble specific formats and general formats DXF's, CSV's.

I belive that TOPCON uses it's own formats also so you have to run ANY CAD package through the 3DOffice or TOPSite products?

I know AutoCad Civil 3D has a module caled Trimble Link which allows it to export some Trimble Survey formats TIN (Surface), DXF(Linework).

I've heard that 12D has a module for direct export to TOPCON Machine Control, so a 12D customer told me once? I couldn't fined it on 12D Website.

Are you just invloved in Data Prep for the company or is that just one of your many roles?

I'm interested in learning what is required to do TOPCON data since we are getting more customers who have TOPCON or both TOPCON/Trimble and projects which have both systems on sub-contractors machines. Can you tell me the process/products you use. Can you get any free for trial?

Congradulations of Website, very good Eartmover site.

freakz

I belive that TOPCON uses it's own formats also so you have to run ANY CAD package through the 3DOffice or TOPSite products?

I know AutoCad Civil 3D has a module caled Trimble Link which allows it to export some Trimble Survey formats TIN (Surface), DXF(Linework).

I've heard that 12D has a module for direct export to TOPCON Machine Control, so a 12D customer told me once? I couldn't fined it on 12D Website.

Are you just invloved in Data Prep for the company or is that just one of your many roles?

I'm interested in learning what is required to do TOPCON data since we are getting more customers who have TOPCON or both TOPCON/Trimble and projects which have both systems on sub-contractors machines. Can you tell me the process/products you use. Can you get any free for trial?

Congradulations of Website, very good Eartmover site.

I havent completed website yet, we just released it 2 weeks ago and I still need to make a few changes. Its a lot better than we had before :).

90% of jobs I get now are designed in Autocad 2010 so I have just ordered it. Prior to that I would have to try and import 2000-2007 DWG/DXF files into 3D office and then create the surface in 3d. 3D Office is limited in functionality.

I have heard people using Carlson or CivilCad, but since most of the designs I get are created in autocad I decided to bite the bullet and give it a go.

Newbee

Can Engineers make 3D data??

Does the 3D Office have ANY CAD ability or is it just to convert files to the TOPCON formats?

What did you use as your CAD software before AutoCad 2010?

Do you find you need to generate a lot of the 3D Surface Data or do the Engineers give it to you and if so is it any good.

We've found that most engineers 3D data is wrong or out dated to revisions so we need to create it ourselves anyway. We may use some 2D linework but sometime I wonder if it just would be easier to regenerate everything from scratch, so at least we knew it was good.

It's like doing the check of plans anyway.

freakz

Does the 3D Office have ANY CAD ability or is it just to convert files to the TOPCON formats?

Do you find you need to generate a lot of the 3D Surface Data or do the Engineers give it to you and if so is it any good.

We've found that most engineers 3D data is wrong or out dated to revisions so we need to create it ourselves anyway. We may use some 2D linework but sometime I wonder if it just would be easier to regenerate everything from scratch, so at least we knew it was good.

The topcon software allows you to import surfaces + linework from cad files.
You can also create the surfaces in 3D office using points and lines to generate the TIN surface.

longjrla

Occupation

Newbee,
I can honestly say that in the 7 years of doing data prep that I've never received a correct surface or one that I can "plug-n-play" from the engineers. Some have been better than others, but always something in the surface grossly wrong, incompleted, or else breaklines crossing all over, point density too tight with huge file sizes, or just too damn many revisions to merge, not to mention they don't generate stripped down background linework files, they have never had to look at the operators or surveyors screen. They have only been responsible to make rough surfaces to cut some sections and generate estimated quantities.

With the past two contractors I've worked for, it has been their policy to go through and re-do everything according to the legal contractural binding paper plans, using the engineers surface in the background as a reference. This allows us to go through with a fine tooth comb and make sure everything is in there surface wise, and also all the underground, storm drainage, sanitary, waterline, gas, etc. With this, you are able to know the project like the back of your hand and catch many errors that would cost $ out in the field, especially important for time restricted jobs. The project I'm now currently working on is a trial to use the Engineers EED, but so far, it's not really working out very well. I am saving a little time, but then again, is it really, I still have to go and enter in all my Hals, Vals, alighments, supers, etc and push templates and do site modeling for the transistions to create the SG surface.:pointhead

Here in New York State, they are recognizing the importance of the EED and are pushing toward the "hand over" design. They may also come to the point where either a liscenced engineer or liscenced surveyor will be responsible for the EED used for machine guidance and payment data. The biggest problem is the Engineers are creating surfaces and that's all. For goodness sake, Hellen Keller can create a surface. They have not had any experience in using that data downstream for machine guidance, or other, to know what you need and don't need, and know how the field systems work and their capabilities. I can go on an on about this, for now, I see it as job security.:D

Newbee, I am in the same boat as you with only using Trimble products to create surfaces and/or design files, and I only use this data for Trimble systems (Blade Pro 3d, Sitevision 5.0 and 5.5, GCS900 10.x and 11.x, SCS900 1.0 through 2.61 (some with the Roading module), Survey Controller v9.x through 12.x, etc) Each of these systems have different capabilities and handle different types of data formats, keep that in mind when creating surfaces and background/ foreground linework.

The only constant that I know of is that all system manufacturers can use XML surfaces, XML alignments/ roadjobs (with hal, val, equalities, x-sections, etc), csv points file, and a dwg linework file. Please correct me if I'm wrong! The only catch that I know is for the linework files, the color pallete conversion for the different systems is different (sometimes even within the same system mfg. ie Spectra and Sitevision/GCS), and also, some systems are limited to description character lengths. I don't think one software package to create the data is better than another, it's up to the one sitting behind the desk to know the software inside and out to make it do what needs to be done. I believe that all packages will export a XML, csv, and dwg, that's really all you need for all systems as far as I know (with a few exceptions such as survey controller, but that's why Trimble is splitting survey from site layout). Afterwards, each system manufacturer has it's own specific software to prepare the machine design in its format to use in the system. I know it's free for Trimble, TBC HCE, SCS900 PC, and SCS900 Data Manager are free downloads off the Trimble website. I'm sure somehow you could get Topcons software, if not provide the customer with the xml and dwg and have them convert, or let them use theirs to convert.:confused:

Bottom line, every year, things are getting better and there's always a "back door" to do what you need to do. Whow knows what this spring will bring after all the con. expo's, etc. I do know one thing, I'll be updating all my computer and field software/ firmware, I'm sure you know how that goes! Another thing for certain, Trimble support will be getting an ear full from me with why didn't they add something I've requested for years or why they took a feature out of the software. I think I'm beginning to get too old and have too much going on with my family to stay up to date with everything.:drinkup It's a lot "funner" running my backhoe.

freakz, how long have you been at this for, what's your background?

Do either one of you rely on tml's at all for your dataprep work?

Thanks and happy modeling, Larry

928G Boy

i use terra model, i attended some seminars on it and learned Auto Desk Land Desktop and Autocad in college

so you have a final grade surface and you want a subgrade surface... why dont you just tell the operator what to set the vertical offset at when he's preparing the sub grade in a certain area... that's what i've always done... unless im missing something here... kinda a dumb answer but its the best i can do, LOL

daylighting points... I only ever did that in Land Desktop and I don't remember how to do that now anyway... :(

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

I am with 928G Boy on this. I do not work the program in the office, I have someone who does, but we only model finish grade, then just work with a vertical offset to cut subgrade. Then if a subgrade layer goes outside the lines of the finish grade, we can either dial in horizontal offsets, or align right or left, then let the blade hang over the side to make the daylight, if that is what is needed.

With well versed operators, even if there are problems, they can be corrected in the field.

longjrla

Occupation
928G & JDOFMEMI,
Bless you both and the ones who know what they're doing and what it takes to do things right and efficient at the same time. I agree fully with the both of you, only problem is, dialing down and being able to manipulate your blade tips and to allow for overcut works fine out in the field for an experienced operator and/or an operator who has a supervisor readily available (who actually knows what plans are and uses them) to ask questions, or for a project with only one depth of roadmetal material. The problem lies with workers who have never built a road, graded a parking lot, the ones who don't know what they're building. Unfortunately, with this technology, managers are expecting to take anyone off the street and expect them to do what an experienced operator / foreman who knows what a lock (hand) level, slope board, cloth tape, folding rule, a marker, ribbon on a grade stake, and a hub is, let alone, someone who looks behind them to see if what they have done resembles what they are supposed to be building, or someone who gets out of the truck. Also, the surface models aren't just used for machine guidance anymore, they are used to calculate quantities precisely. The engineer's estimate of quantities just don't cut it anymore when dealing with $50-$100 / cm pay quantity materials stretched over 10-15 miles of highway.

Alright, enough bitching from me. It is upsetting that technology has also made some, not all, people lazy and dumb at the same time.

Last edited:

JDOFMEMI

I hear you on the lazy and dumb part. I think it is a shame. With all the best gear on a machine, you can get any dummy to perform at an average level. If you choose to do that as an owner, then you are setting yourself up to fail.
That same gear with a skilled operator, working as part of a skilled team, will get the kind of production only dreamed about.
My operators all demand a copy of the plans, and carry them in the machine with them. Not only that, they actually read them, ask questions, and generally take charge. Problems are caught and fixed in the field without causing re-work, and the project runs much smoother for it.

longjrla

Occupation
With all the best gear on a machine, you can get any dummy to perform at an average level. If you choose to do that as an owner, then you are setting yourself up to fail.
That same gear with a skilled operator, working as part of a skilled team, will get the kind of production only dreamed about.

Very well said, nail was hit on the head!!!

DataMan

Occupation
Data Prep Management
I use Terramodel for all my modeling. I have been using it for about 8 years now. If anyone has any questions about data prep or modeling don't hesitate to contact me.

http://www.gds3d.com

Latrobe

Terramodel have a Auto Draft to automatically connect all the survey points with the same layers/codes to create a quick survey plan.

Have anyone used Terramodel for dynamic designing (HAL, VAL, Cross Sections) of roads and subdivisions (with automatic kerb/curb returns in intersections. Profiles of crossing streets are linked by the software. If I raise or lower a major road... ALL CROSSING ROAD PROFILES ARE ADJUSTED TO MATCH AUTOMATICALLY! Yes, all crossing road profiles. That includes the curb return profiles. We do not have to go back and adjust them manually.)?

Simply select a surface and alignments in Terramodel, assign a template using the profile editor and intersections are created which automatically match into each other.

These intersections will dynamically update when changes are made to any of the controlling profiles.

Starting with the surface, alignments and assemblies in place, this includes generation of all the profiles for the roads and curbs, output of corridors that are trimmed/extended for the intersections and creation of a single surface model of the entire road network.

longjrla

Occupation
Hang on there "buck - O" I don't have time right now to converse about this right now, but would like to continue a discussion.

Thanks, Larry

Newbee

Latrobe - Can you tell me how you do all this Automatic linking in Terramodel. I've used Terramodel for years and I've never seen these features of Auto linking Alignments, Kerb Returns with dynamic updating etc???

Do you have a special TML from Geocomp or have you written one?

Tell me more, please.......

longjrla

Occupation
Latrobe and Newbee,

I'm in same boat as you Newbee, I've used terramodel for a long time, I've never seen dynamic updating design done, I don't believe that you can do it in Terramodel. The only dynamic interaction are with the use of dynaviews, but that is only for graphics/ plotting. Possibly Tim Hamilton has something that may do it, but I talk with him a few times a year and havn't heard any TML for this. On the other hand, I only have the Construction Pack / Data Prep modules, and it doesn't look like there are other available modules to do this.

Newbee, yes I use the Draft/Linework from points (MapPoints) command often when field data has been recorded with data collectors that don't have SCS900. It is very usefull as long as the field crews differentiate their point codes and include the begining and ending line identifying symbols correctly, if not, you are playing connect the dots manually.