• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trimble Screenshots

excavatorr

G'Day anyone got any screen shots of there gps. Mainly excavators. Like different screen views on there Trimble gps. Can you please post them and maybe describe to us what we are looking at. Also maybe state what screen view you use the most and why. Also what is the horizontal offset used for. What is notrthing and eastern? And what is elevation? I would love to see some screen shots and hear how excavator operators use gps. For example, do you dig and just Look at the gps screen only or dig first cut then look at screen as a reference or what?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I don't have any screenshots at the moment, but it works very similarly to the dozer systems, just more sensors on the boom/stick/bucket linkage. Typically I leave it on plan view for most work. If you were working strictly on slopes, x-section or profile might work better. The system comes with lightbars also, but a quick glance at the screen once and a while as the bucket comes back is all that is needed. Staring at the screen, IMO, would be unsafe and may point to someone who can't hold a grade without GPS.

Horizontal offsets allow you to select a line on the screen, may it be a contour, pad outline, pipe run, etc. (alignment) and adjust the grade. For example, if you want to grade a road to 3' behind curb, you would align with the curb line and offset horizontally 3 feet. For Vertical offsets, if your FG is a 488 foot elevation, but there needs to be 6 inches of top soil, a -0.5' vertical offset (ie 487.5 feet) would let you grade out the area, and leave it low enough for topsoil.

Northing, Easting, and elevation are your exact coordinates in a 3-d (X,Y,Z) plan. Another way to put it latitude, longitude, and height (above sea level) Hope that helps, I'll look into getting screen shots later.