• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tricks 2 pull out of soft ground

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
My machine is a two-wheel drive, not four-wheel drive. I do not know what an axle tilt lock is.

Then you raise the boom a few feet the axle articulation lock for stability so the machine does not tilt on the axle center pin. If you try to drive on anything but perfectly level ground with the boom raised over just off the ground two opposite corner axles will be lighter as the other two carry the weight. No traction that way.

crane operator

I find on the two wheel drive machines, if you're spinning a little, it helps to have the boom over the drive axle, and go ahead a stick a little boom out with the basket close to the ground. Then you can use the leverage of the boom to add a little traction to get you through a bad spot.

Ronray

Wow what great suggestions! And they make perfect sense. By the way, I am on level ground, it's just soft ground. My only concern with putting more weight on that 1 spinning wheel is that it will just dig me in deeper. LOL, but I will give it a shot and I will get off the throttle if it does not appear to be pulling me out.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Wait till the ground freezes solid, drive right out :) I recall a hard frost in the bay area, it was pandemonium!