• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

TRI axle dump truck

PedroGutierrez

Hello, Could someone give me a idea what would be a better dump truck between 1988 Mack R model and 1995 Ford Lyl your help will be really appreciated since I'm new trying to get into this type of work thanks so much your experience suggestions have a good dayIMG_20230602_063002.jpgIMG_20230602_062944.jpg

Old Doug

One big thing would be which one is easiest to get parts for. Between those to its almost applies and oranges kind of thing they are so different.

Old Doug

Thanks so much you right about parts , so I'm kind confused orange Ford it's better or mack white? Sorry I didn't fully understood
These two trucks about all they have in common is there both dump trucks. Nothing wrong with a Mack but it may be built of all Mack parts were the other truck is built of parts that are generic what 90% of all trucks are built from.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
The mack truck has a really tall bed, if you don't have big equipment, it will be hard to load with a mini excavator or a skid loader.

I'd be more interested to know what engine transmission and rears gear ratio are in each truck.
Also would probably help to know what you would be expecting to be hauling. That Mack looks like it was setup for some light material with that tall sided body!

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
I have a 2007 Kenworth T800 which has only a 430hp Cat motor. I wouldn't want anything with less HP. The high sides won't work to get loaded easily unless you specifically want that. I wanted high sides which is what I got, but I knew I was going to install a highlift gate that allows me to load and unload that way and drive equipment up into it. High sides allow the highlift gate to rise higher up so the excavator can reach in. Adding a highlift gate though is expensive. I got the truck cheap though. I would get the red truck. Maybe look for a Kenworth. Newer is better.

Attachments

• Loading and unloading via ramps.jpg
    Loading and unloading via ramps.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Ready to load truck.jpg
    Ready to load truck.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 12

Tyler d4c

Out of the 2 for me it would be the Ford.
Them ltls are my favorite.

Or are we to base this off practically and not feelings

crane operator

I have a 2007 Kenworth T800 which has only a 430hp Cat motor. I wouldn't want anything with less HP. The high sides won't work to get loaded easily unless you specifically want that. I wanted high sides which is what I got, but I knew I was going to install a highlift gate that allows me to load and unload that way and drive equipment up into it. High sides allow the highlift gate to rise higher up so the excavator can reach in. Adding a highlift gate though is expensive. I got the truck cheap though. I would get the red truck. Maybe look for a Kenworth. Newer is better.
Your sides aren’t near as tall as that Mack. If you look at your sides, they are top of the door /window height. That Mack is clear above the cab, probably taller than your headache rack.

cfherrman

The ford should have a better front axle and possibly cheaper parts, it also looks better to customers which matters sometimes l. The mack r is a tried and true heavy truck.

Truck Shop

BOTH are getting tough to get parts for, especially the Ford. Both are steel cabs and more
than likely full of Rot. Neither one IMO.

Welder Dave

Have read the LTL's don't have a very sharp turning radius compared to the L9000's. Could be important for a dump truck. They were better for a highway tractor. Having said that I think I read Macks don't turn as sharp to the right. Engine and trans. are important things to consider as are axle ratings. The Ford has a tarp if that's required in your area but also looks like it hit something pretty substantial to not only damage the grill but also buckle the bumper. What are the asking prices of each and the mileage? Are there any maintenance records or parts receipts? I agree loading could be a pain with the Mack and also easy to overload if you're not paying attention or trying to save time by taking fewer loads.

Last edited:

heymccall

You may wanna consider that many parts for the Ford are obsolete/ unavailable, and the ones that are available are obscenely priced.
Had a minor incident with out LTL9000 over 15 years ago. Bent the arm between the spindle/ knuckle and the tie rod. Completely unavailable new. Found a used one.
Had vent window hinge rot out. Again, unavailable new. Finally found used.

Ever since freightliner took over the big old Ford stuff, prices appear to have skyrocketed, and that was before COVID.

Last edited:

Welder Dave

I hope I won't need any Ford specific parts for my 94 L9000. There is a big truck wrecker close to my property that I think has at least 1 Ford plow truck similar to mine. My truck is pretty heavy duty including dual steering boxes. That could be a good thing or a bad thing.

Truck Shop

When considering buying a older truck--you have three choices, Pete, KW or Freightliner.
When Volvo took over Mack it narrowed the options, plus cut available parts for older units.
Freightliner controls about 37.5% of the market, PacCar 33% split between Pete & KW.
So the Rest is divided among what's left, and can't compete on the scale of the big three.
Mack has 518 dealers to Freightliners 446 but Volvo/Mack will give out a shingle to just
about any large shop to try inroads in the Freightliner/PacCar kingdom. Most of those
Mack dealers such as the ones in this area have a extremely small parts inventory.
Graff below shows who the players are.
https://www.statista.com/statistics/274937/market-share-of-truck-manufacturers-in-the-united-states/

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums PG! Glad to have you.

First and most important questions - What do you plan to do with it? Contract haul stone, asphalt, sand, ect? Haul by the hour in construction? Haul your own equipment and materials?

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
To me an LTL was just a fancier Louisville with a longer hood. Like a K car and a dodge Daytona