• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trenching/3 point Trenchers

33horse

Occupation
Cable & Wire
This past week we were working a job to trench 2000 feet and lay 2 inch water line 3 feet deep. Being that we don't ordinarily work trenching, we rented from Sunbelt. We managed a 1000 feet a day. Slowed by the machine bogging down in the dirt. The tires were Lawn Tires Plus It's sandy here. I'm still sore from steering and coaxing that rental beast.

We now see we might have the opportunity to do more trenching and we are considering a 3 point trencher for a tractor. I wondered if anyone might have some words of wisdom regarding Tractor mounted 3 point Trenchers.

33horse

Occupation
Cable & Wire
3 point Trencher

Tes They are PTO Driven. I'm sure that my 52 HP John Deere can handle it, but I am not sure if they work well and if the tractor needs a super granny low to creep.

Turbo21835

Sounds like the trencher you rented may have been a little small for the conditions? Still 1000ft of water line trench is pretty good in a day. You would be hard pressed to get this kind of footage with a mini exc or backhoe. Plus you have less clean up to do. I don't think you'll be pleased with trencher on the tractor. Its not as going to be as maneuverable as a trencher. Plus as you already mentioned, your going to need a slow gear. If you dont you will end up having to slip the clutch most of the time. Poof, time for a new clutch. If its a hydrostatic tractor it might work out decent. I still say try for a little bigger trencher.

Josh

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I would try a trencher on a bobcat. Works great for me. In sandy soil? if conditions were right I would try a plow but the conditions would have to be perfect. only 2' deep, sandy, flat working area.
Got any pictures?

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
3 point trenchers

I have a Bradco that I run on a L48 Kubota it will dig 6" wide and 4' deep and it works quite well except in rock but then no trencher except a large one with carbide teeth will do that you doo need either a creeper gear or Hydrostat to run them though

33horse

Occupation
Cable & Wire
Thanks for the info.

I ldon't have a Hydrostatic Transmission so the 3 point Idea is out. Thanks for all the information. The one lesson I learned in Renting a Trencher is look at the Tires and Height off the ground if trenching in dirt or Sand. Turf Tires and low clearance will make it difficult.