• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trencher?

Cartoondude135

Crawler Trencher.jpg
Is it even appropriate to call this machine a trencher? And if it is, it's the weirdest one I've ever seen. It looks like it had a John Deere combine harvester's body, the tracks of a 20-30 ton excavator, and the boom of a pipe layer for some kind of conveyor belt.

Tinkerer

Wheel trenchers have been in use since the early 1900's. I ran a Cleveland 300 many years ago.
I don't know who made the ones in your photo. I have never seen a narrow one followed by a bigger one like they are doing in the photo.
I guess it would speed up the feet per hour they excavate.
The ones in your photo look like they are Barber Green's.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Wheels with mean ol carbide rock teeth are about the only thing that will make it in some soil here.

AzIron

If you were an underground company before the 80s in the southwest Cleveland 300s and 400s were your tool of choice all were wheel trenchers the only thing that slowed them down was solid rock then excavators came on the scene hot and heavy

Its interesting here now on a couple jobs excavators have taken a backseat to rock saws now those things are mean