• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trencher Attachment: power'd Side Shift

oceanobob

Occupation
general contractor
Curious if there are any experiences with the need or preference for a power side shift on a trencher attachment for a skid steer? It adds about $1000 to the price of the attachment which is about a 20% increase in the cost of the attachment, plus or minus depending on the chain and cutting edges.
Note: if the power'd side shift is not ordered, the trencher can be side shifted - although it is done manually.
I did some searching on HEF for this topic and didn't find any commentary on this point.

I am thinking it would be set in the center and left there for most of the work. However, there is some thought the power side shift will help the operator make minor adjustments and therefore better "hold the line", what with subtle side to side elevation changes, dips etc.

A straight trench would be important for the upcoming project as well as if the trencher is used for footings (such as those on small buildings).

1466IH

The hydraulic ones that i have used will only move the bar when not under load so in my opinion it is pointless kind of like hydraulic adj. forks unless you have enough money to throw around that your operator doesnt need to get out and move them manually. Dont get me wrong though all of that stuff is neat to have like the hyd couplers and forks and such but i would rather spend my money elsewhere

PDG X

Occupation
Owner Operator
Have one of each. The smaller T9 low flow (4' chain)!has a valve on the trencher that you open, then run the chai forward or reverse to shift left or right. The T15 high flow (5'chain) uses the aux hydraulics to sideshift from inside the cab. I prefer the latter, however I use the smaller T9 much more than the T15. You'd be surprised how often you cannot run with the trencher centered, and have to offset it in order to clear obstacles. Although you normally don't shift while in operation - but you can with the larger one - it greatly reduces the number of times you have to get in and out of the machine.