1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

trench shoring

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by shadow2, Apr 16, 2015.

1. shadow2

shadow2 Well-Known Member

we are just getting into doing sewer and water hook ups below 5 feet and i'm trying to figure out what is the best trench shoring system.

we need a system that can be configure to a verity of trenches and piping jobs

2. nowing75

nowing75 Senior Member

Have you talked to a local supplyer? Our local cat dealer has a shoring division. Might want to talk to them. We have purchased some used from them. We also use a hydraulic shoring system.

3. Aliate

Aliate Senior Member

Speed shoring

Vetech63 likes this.
  4. Jimothy

Jimothy Active Member

Digger
    Apparently there’s like three companies near us that all use wood “lagging” I believe is the term? But because they work in old neighborhoods and don’t know what to expect they just bring tons of wood beams with them and customize there shoring as they go along finding old sewers and utilities. Has its limitations but gets the job done for them, we basically use steel plates whenever we can’t figure something out but I do believe u need engineer sign offs for some of the stuff we’re doing.

5. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    We have a trench box that's steel and the excavator drags it along. Not sure what the manufacture is. It was built in the 60s. Never gets used unless they can't bench it, or it's sandy material. Note the date on this thread was 2015.

6. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

If you only need shoring for tie-ins a 4 sided modular box is the way to go. Poly shoring sheets and hydraulic spreaders work great for general trenching. The spreaders aren't cheap though.

7. Zewnten

Zewnten Well-Known Member

Some places rent it. Would be a g ood way to try out some styles or buy one type and rent different ones for the non standard jobs.

8. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

CM1995 likes this.
  9. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Those build a box's are nice for tight cluttered excavations.

We rent from a national company that has a branch here.

10. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

United Rentals Trench safety is a block down the road from the shop, but the last few years I get everything from DP Nicoli. They are consistently better on price for us.

11. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    We National Trench Safety. If they don't have a specialty box locally they can get it from Atlanta in a day.