• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trench collapse in Pa

CAT_MAN

Most companies I have done work for have very strict shoring rules to avoid stuff like this. most all my slopes were 1-2 or 1-3 (for every 1 foot down i would go 2 or 3 feet out) even if it was thousands of dollars spent on doing it with a Hydrovac truck because it was close to a line. Always sad to see stuff like this happen. there was another death on a pipeline were a guy was crushed by a 42" pipe. A few rollovers two. Seems people are rolling more stuff this year

junglejim

D5G, I didn't think you took what I was saying out of context I just wanted to be clear that I didn't know if what I had heard and seen was the truth or not. I hear and agree with most of what you are saying, however there are the other ones that might know what they are doing on a small scale of work.But then get in over their heads with jobs beyond their capacity of knowledge and/or machine limits because they don't want to lose a contract or a customer. I hope I haven't offended anyone with what I have wrote, that was not my intent. I feel very bad for the family and my prayers go out to them.

Wolfcsm

While serving in the US Army on tanks from 1974 to 1996 I saw a lot of people short cutting safety mandates. The worst a** chewing you would get from me was safety issues. One time while serving in Baumholder Germany I told a Pvt "you must be the youngest child in your family....cause if I had a kid like you I would have sworn off sex for life" because he had committed a real dumb safety stunt!
Rick

I am guessing he was your soldier. There might be just the smallest reflection on the training he received from you.

I also was a Tanker in the Army, from 1972 to 1996. I tought AIT at Ft Knox for two years and saw the level of training and reinforcement they needed to begin to understand the dangers of 120,000 pounds of steel, with lots of weapons.

Hal

watglen

Occupation
Farmer, drainage and excavating contractor, Farm d
These are very sad stories indeed.

I suspect the 20' claimed is from the top of the spoils pile.

I'm going to be doing a job in the next month that will involve something just like this. Deep trench, man in the trench. This topic happens to be very timely for me right now.

To help me out, maybe someone has some pics of shoring done properly?

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I hate posting more bad news like this, and my condolences do go out to family and friends of those hurt and lost. However terrible it is, this type of information needs to be put in the light to keep those that follow safe.

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/local&id=7878201

My prayers go out to their families, but this is something that just shouldn't be happening any more.

385Diggin' Doug