• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trees, Trees, and More Trees

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Hate it when that happens. It reminds me that I have more than a dozen hundred plus tall Doug Firs around my house.

skyking1

I was going to say that didn't look too bad, till I got to the last picture and can see there has to be a bunch of structural damage on that side.

colson04

That's why I'm not a fan of trees near houses. There's a large cherry tree behind my parents house that I've been wanting to take down for years. My dad wants it to stay because it shades the house during the summer. Its around 75ft tall, about 30" DBH, and about 30ft away from the house. It would need a stiff south wind to blow it to his house, and our worst storms usually come from the W or SW, but then the tree lands on his workshop if it falls to the east. Some day I'll convince him it's time to come down.

Tugger2

Nice work you do . I used to think we were safe with no trees near the house but after living on the property for 30 years the trees have grown so much i think the house is in reach of some of them.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I set up a rig that in hindsite would have skipped the jib altogether and rteally made it drive better with less weight up top as well.
This is a super way to specialize in crane work. Very good biz plan.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
What do you do with the timber in those trees? I got a Red Gum taken down yesterday, the tree lopper reckons there's some saleable timber in it. Dressed timber is quite a thing here apparently and the more deformed the better. The other way of getting some coin back is to block and split it for firewood which retails at 2 bucks a kilo.

John Griffin

I set up a rig that in hindsite would have skipped the jib altogether and rteally made it drive better with less weight up top as well.
This is a super way to specialize in crane work. Very good biz plan.
I've read that first sentence several times and still don't understand what you are trying to say here. If you are suggesting we don't run the jib, theres multiple times we have had to swing it. 104 ft of main sometimes is not enough for us. Its also 2400 lbs on the tms300. Not a lot of difference when talking about a 72,000 lb crane.

John Griffin

What do you do with the timber in those trees? I got a Red Gum taken down yesterday, the tree lopper reckons there's some saleable timber in it. Dressed timber is quite a thing here apparently and the more deformed the better. The other way of getting some coin back is to block and split it for firewood which retails at 2 bucks a kilo.
We give it away sometimes, we haul some to a custom cut sawmill that makes lumber and gives it back to us in whatever sizes we want, or we process it for firewood. Anything 12 inches and smaller we chip generally.

John Griffin

So what exactly was the problem with the GMK.?
Enquiring minds would like to know, expecially seeing as I have three of them in my current sphere of influence and one of the three is the twin brother to yours.
One of the cables from the i/o box to the eks module behind the operators seat shorted the can line to battery power. This took out the can driver and resistor in the eks. It also took down the pressure transducer in the boom.