1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Trapezoid bucket

Discussion in 'Excavators' started by Jakebreak, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Jakebreak

Jakebreak Senior Member

operator/pipelayer/mechanic
    anybody have any good recommendations on a good v bucket for a cat 330 d excavator we’re laying 18” water main about 8-12’ deep we’re hoping to open cut but if we can’t find a bucket we will just pull a box

2. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    Do you want that bucket to slope the sides?

3. Jakebreak

Jakebreak Senior Member

Yes we have done it with a regular bucket but it takes time I figured with a v bucket it will cut down on cycle times and be more productive and efficient we're shooting for getting it all in in 2 weeks i thinks it's about a Mile or two on distance

4. Bls repair

Bls repair Senior Member

Equipment operator,mechanic
    Tunneling under pipe ,cleaning up bottom for catch basin or manhole is a real pita.

5. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    You mean a spade bucket like a loader in a quarry?

6. Willie B

Willie B Senior Member

Electrician
    Look at trench box sales pitches. A conventional ditching bucket digs more volume in a given time. Digging to depth, allowing ditch sides to form their own angle, along with shoring means you remove less soil. I don't know what the material of your pipe may be. Welded will need more room for humans to secure a joint. Steep sides mean you remove less material, consume less bedding sand, and move less soil in refill. If restoration is part of the job, narrower ditch means very much faster. Are you supplying topsoil, grading, and seed? Keep ditch width narrow, you'll be done sooner.

7. Jakebreak

Jakebreak Senior Member

It’s c900 pipe no re seeding or anything like that I know their talking about running the 5’ bucket with it to move some material from the looks of it were in the clear on existing utilities except for our poc I have never ran a vee bucket so I’m not sure how more efficient it is compared to pulling and digging for a box we plan on running 2 excavators one digging and laying the other one backfilling and a loader for support

8. cuttin edge

cuttin edge Senior Member

Finish grader operator
    We did a water and sewer job once, and in order to get the grade, the bottom of one sanitary manhole was 37 feet. It couldn't be water tested as our air plugs wouldn't hold the weight of all that water in an 8 foot pod..there was a lot of benching there