• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transporting tubo equipped machines

Eric

Gee, y'all r sum smart fellers!! I guess you don't want to if ya don't have to, and with all the extra effort involved I can't say I blame you, exhausting work putting a rag in a exhaust pipe!:drinkup

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Gee, y'all r sum smart fellers!! I guess you don't want to if ya don't have to, and with all the extra effort involved I can't say I blame you, exhausting work putting a rag in a exhaust pipe!:drinkup

Try doing it with a layer of ice or sleet on top of the machine, my body is worth more then any part on a machine. There's a simple cure to this, cover it if you believe its something that needs to be done, or don't if you don't think so.

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Soooo, to conclude our little debate, the next time one of us goes to haul a turbo'd engine, just ask yourself this simple little question..."To cover, or not to cover"...is it worth the risk?

Pull into the Cat dealer you're moving the piece for WITHOUT a cover on the stack, and express you opinion that it was too dangerous to climb up there due to the layer of ice or snow, and chances are...you'll probably be waiting for the phone to ring for the next move for Cat...

I detested climbing up there myself, but it was easier to do that than to have to argue with some waterhead at the Cat dealer.

Last edited:

Lashlander

Ya, but........Does Cat want them covered to keep the elements out or because the Turbo spins wildly out of control.
It doesn't really matter to me because I'll inform the Cat dealer the UPS man will deliver the turbo the next business day. Now where did I put that tracking number!:drinkup

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
:lmao:lmao:lmao

Cat thinks the turbos are spinning profusely out of control, of course...:D

I think I'll try that trick next time I move another Cat to a dealer Lashlander, especially to the knuckleheads I dealt with way too often in NY state. I'll hand them an old turbo core I have hanging around in a box full of "polish peanuts"...and ask them if that'll cover the law...:falldownlaugh:notworthy

Dualie

I did a move for the local cat dealer today one of their rental units. Never said word one about covering the stack. In fact the 4 trucks that were there before me didn't cover the stacks either.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
I did a move for the local cat dealer today one of their rental units. Never said word one about covering the stack. In fact the 4 trucks that were there before me didn't cover the stacks either.

From what I have witnessed over the past month or so I think I can safely say that none of C@t, Komatsu, Terex or any of the UK hauliers have a policy of covering the stacks.
The only thing that seems to have a flap are the screeners and crushers that have gone by. :beatsme

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
Just to be on the safe side....
Turbos ride shotgun.
:cool:

Attachments

• PB150006.JPG
    PB150006.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 827

RollOver Pete

Occupation
Operating Engineer/mechanic
hahahaha nice shift knob, how do you like the exhaust brake?

If you tow heavy, an exhaust brake is a must have.
I wouldn't have a truck without one.
The shift knob is something I had sitting in my parts trailer.
I've plumbed into it to adjust my air bags.

Attachments

• IMGP0542.jpg
    IMGP0542.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 747

BCB

If you tow heavy, an exhaust brake is a must have.
I wouldn't have a truck without one.
The shift knob is something I had sitting in my parts trailer.
I've plumbed into it to adjust my air bags.

haha very cool. good idea with the air bags. I had an exhaust brake on my truck (97 12v cummins) but i put twins on it a couple weeks ago and don't have the $$$ for a 5 inch, man i miss it.

440chevy

I've never covered the exhaust and I do drive at highway speeds, and we've never even had a turbo fail us once.