• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transporting tubo equipped machines

Iron Horse

But, if a (relatively) stationary impeller is so fragile as to be damaged by a little rocking (or moving up and down, end to end) while on the trailer, how does it make it through a day of spinning at xx thousand RPM with all the shock and vibration of digging/hammering/walking on rock etc.?

The shaft is susspended by the pressurised oil , it can never touch the bearings just like a con rod bearing cannot touch the journal even with the shock loading the piston induces upon it .

I don't agree that someone who doesn't believe the urban legend of the turbo is lazy or unprofessional.

I didn't say that , but a person that does cover the stack is , in my opinion very professional and caring and will be the guy coming back next time theres a shift to be done .

On edit , just a question i need answered . As no one seems to be 100% certain in their own mind if this does occur . What WOULD the reason be to NOT cover the stack ?

And if my machine had an unexpected Turbo failure after it was hauled with the stack uncovered , the driver would either be getting his chequebook out or getting his suit dry cleaned . The judge would be shown by my barister that it is standard practice with big firms and would order the damages paid . That's only a little guy like me , i wonder what would happen when a multi national mining company has a few Turbos from 200 ton dump trucks go down after cartage , with all the documented oil analysis testing , strict servicing and all the machines fitted with Turbo timers ?$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by a moderator:

Nac

Occupation
Construction
LowBoy; If this is such a controversal topic said:
Kari[/B]...She makes me feel funny.:naughty)

I 2nd:thumbsup that.:thumbsup:thumbsup

qkoop

Occupation
Logger
If you want to cover the stack, more power to you, It's your $$ on the line.

But, if a (relatively) stationary impeller is so fragile as to be damaged by a little rocking (or moving up and down, end to end) while on the trailer, how does it make it through a day of spinning at xx thousand RPM with all the shock and vibration of digging/hammering/walking on rock etc.? Like Dualie said, theres still enough oil on it to get through startup, so it's not dry.

I don't agree that someone who doesn't believe the urban legend of the turbo is lazy or unprofessional. And I'd like to hear from someone at Cat (corporate not just a dealer) that demands that the stacks are covered to save the turbo. (Gmads, Tigerrotor?)

Until then I'll take Dads advice: "Son, never argue with a true believer"
This was an interesting exchange/debate until the "lazy" and "unprofessional" insinuations.
:deadhorse (didn't this horse get beaten a year or so ago?)

A "LAZY TRUCK DRIVER" ! I thought that was just another urban myth.:D:D:D

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The manual will often state to cover the exhaust because of the sulphur in the exhaust system and rain. When water is driven in the exhaust you can form H2SO4....thats one for you to look up Digger.

Whilst everyone is striving for low sulphur in fuel manufacture it is a real serious issue for medium and low speed diesels and diesel fired boilers. If you are worried about it get a duckbill fitted.

While the debate may or may not continue I think for longer term storage or transport, after which the machine is not going to be run, preventing moisture entering the exhaust system is well worthwhile. If you want to do a test then get an old piece of exhaust system/manifold that has a good carbon build up and expose it to the some water...then give it a couple of days and see what happens. Cast iron will survive but exposed steel of the non stainless type will corroded...aggressively.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
The shaft is susspended by the pressurised oil , it can never touch the bearings just like a con rod bearing cannot touch the journal even with the shock loading the piston induces upon it .

I don't agree that someone who doesn't believe the urban legend of the turbo is lazy or unprofessional.

I didn't say that , but a person that does cover the stack is , in my opinion very professional and caring and will be the guy coming back next time theres a shift to be done .

On edit , just a question i need answered . As no one seems to be 100% certain in their own mind if this does occur . What WOULD the reason be to NOT cover the stack ?

Bone idle laziness :D A very intresting thread and having spent 18mths hauling all sorts of exc, dozers, dumptrucks etc for my employer of the time and his numerous customers I never once heard mention of covering the stack :beatsme

While the debate may or may not continue I think for longer term storage or transport, after which the machine is not going to be run, preventing moisture entering the exhaust system is well worthwhile. If you want to do a test then get an old piece of exhaust system/manifold that has a good carbon build up and expose it to the some water...then give it a couple of days and see what happens. Cast iron will survive but exposed steel of the non stainless type will corroded...aggressively.

Squizzy ? did you push it off the lowboy upon arrival :D

busdrivernine

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. I mean't that air going into the exhaust will spin the turbo and come back out the exhaust. Where else could it go?QUOTE //////

the air is not the problem it is the turbop spinning without oil pressure to lube the turbo thus spinning dry after a bit . sure not good on the turbo .

Eric

we ALWAYS stuff a rag tightly into the stack. If air is going in and making the turbo spin without the engine running, no oil is being pumped to the turbo. That's what will cause premature failure of the turbo.

d6peg

Occupation
owner, operator
I use a car inner-tube that is wired shut on one end. I always cover the stack if the machine is equipped with a turbo.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
What I want to know, is when you see all of these trucks straight from the factory in stacks of 3 or 4 being towed down the road, or how about the audiis and mercedes and other cars and trucks that get towed or hauled hundreds or even thousands of miles without their exhausts covered? How do they do it? And can any of the advocates for covering them get a manual and scan where it says to cover them?

scholzee

Ever see jet aircraft that are not being used ? engines always have covers on them. A jet engine is kind of like a gaint turbo, they do not want the fans being spun by a breeze when engine is not in use, mainly because the bearings are not pressurized by oil when not running. I think you would want to protect a turbo in the same manner.

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
Scholzee; The covers on Gas Turbines are to prevent FOD (Foriegn Object Damage), that is, to prevent foriegn matter from entering the turbine. They are also fitted where heaters or de-humidifiers are to be used. A shaft brake is fitted to lock the turbine when required.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
Ever see jet aircraft that are not being used ? engines always have covers on them. A jet engine is kind of like a gaint turbo, they do not want the fans being spun by a breeze when engine is not in use, mainly because the bearings are not pressurized by oil when not running. I think you would want to protect a turbo in the same manner.

Jet engines are also open on both ends so air can flow through with no problems, hence movement if there is no lock. Engine turbos are in truth only open on the exhaust side so air cannot flow freely through. even with valve overlap where you will get both the intake and exhaust valves open there is not enough flow to turn a turbo at high enough speeds to do damage. The bounce and shake that people are talking about is going to happen whether or not the stack is covered.

:my2c

OneWelder

What happens when you hit a bump ? if the motor is not running - no oil presure
When I was first told about this - It was by the Int. dealer,and he said it only mattered on a few engines , but recommended all be covered. He also thought I should buy their set of assorted covers.
I have felt the same as Lowboy - for the couple of minutes it takes to seal - not worth the risk.
At our local air port even the piper cubs have the engines blocked off to keep birds out

Lashlander

I think maybe I'll start taking the Turbos off and let them ride in the passengers seat. Maybe reach over and pet it now and then.

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I think maybe I'll start taking the Turbos off and let them ride in the passengers seat. Maybe reach over and pet it now and then.

Lash, You better put 'em in your lunch cooler, you wouldn't want the heater fan to blow on 'em and destroy it. :D

Dualie

or tape all openings up. god forbid you roll down the window and over speed the turbo and induce a massive internal failure. I have seen blown turbo's put holes in truck hoods.

:rolleyes:

Grader4me

:eek: You guy's are nuts..lol. Lots of differing opinions on this one. Pet them?? lol... priceless..:drinkup Cover the darn things and let's move on...:D