• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transporting tubo equipped machines

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Hey guys. Just a quickie, what does everyone do for their excavators or any other equipment that they load with the exhaust stack facing toward the front (air catcher)? Should you leave the machine running? Or do you just throw something over the stack? Around here, I could probably get away with just leaving the machines running, most of our hauls are only 20-30 minutes at most, but we already discussed how long idle times aren't necessarily good for the tubo either.

EDIT: Steve, I just realized this should be in the transporting equipment sub thread, my bad!

puredieselpower

Occupation
I build Pole Buildings
CascadeScaper said:
Hey guys. Just a quickie, what does everyone do for their excavators or any other equipment that they load with the exhaust stack facing toward the front (air catcher)? Should you leave the machine running? Or do you just throw something over the stack? Around here, I could probably get away with just leaving the machines running, most of our hauls are only 20-30 minutes at most, but we already discussed how long idle times aren't necessarily good for the tubo either.

Glad you asked, I was going to ask also. What happens when the machine is in reverse and air goes in the exhaust to the turbo? I put my bobcat on forward it has a cab anyhow. but seems easier to back on.

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
puredieselpower said:
Glad you asked, I was going to ask also. What happens when the machine is in reverse and air goes in the exhaust to the turbo? I put my bobcat on forward it has a cab anyhow. but seems easier to back on.

On shorter hauls it will probably be ok, but because of just the physics of what is going on, it's really possible to get the turbo to spin even if the exhaust is facing to the rear. A can or duct tape with of course solve the problems with wind spinning.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
You have nothing to worry about just put the excavator on the trailer so the counterweight is facing the truck and curl the boom in. As for leaving the machine run while in transport not a good idea if something ever happened and the DOT came to the conclusion the machine was running while traveling on the trailer. You would be in some serious poo also with the machine running something could possibly cause the machine to move.

The guys with 800,000 plus dollar equipment are not worried about the machines exhaust pipe facing the wind. Don't cover the exhaust with duct tape if that gets down into the pipe you will have a h*ll of a time getting it back out.

Your biggest concern is have the machine chained down properly so if you ever get stopped the DOT isn't going to nail you for improper tie down.

Also you should have a shovel and dig out the undercarriage if you have been working in mud. You put the machine on the trailer and start traveling down the freeway and a chunk of mud comes flying off and hits a car boy you will be in poo again. It most likely will hit the first cop car you pass :nono

Cat420

Occupation
Construction, small engine and machine shop work
I believe the manual for our backhoe says that the turbo must be protected if the exhaust will be facing forward while trailered more than 45mph. At $1400 for a new one, it's not worth the risk for the minimal time it takes to cover it.

Ford LT-9000

Banned
Occupation
Rolling around in the dirt
I don't know what you guys are worried about like I said when Caterpillar ships brandnew 988 loaders here they don't cover the exhaust these machines travel good 150km (93 miles) on a lowbed to get here. In the 15 years I never seen anybody cover the exhaust.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I have never and I have never seen an exhaust covered.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I wondered about this myself, and I can't make sense of it.

Even if the opening of the exhaust is facing directly into the wind, how is that going to spin the turbo? The air has no place to flow to escape from the other end, unless it's going to run through the engine.

Grader4me

digger242j said:
I wondered about this myself, and I can't make sense of it.

Even if the opening of the exhaust is facing directly into the wind, how is that going to spin the turbo? The air has no place to flow to escape from the other end, unless it's going to run through the engine.

My two cents...If the air goes into the exhaust and spins the turbo, it comes back out the intake as well. Anyone transporting equipment should refer to their operators manual as this should tell you about covering the exhaust while transporting.
Also by covering the exhaust you are keeping out the moisture and dirt. We use a can and a rubber tie down strap. As mentioned duct tape works as well, especially if there is a flap on the exhaust.
This is a standard practice with us.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
My two cents...If the air goes into the exhaust and spins the turbo, it comes back out the intake as well.

Yeah, but...the exhaust part of the turbo originates in the exhaust manifold. To flow through there, it'd have to flow throught the cylinders as well, before it came out the intake. (That would be beneficial--you'd get your air filter cleaned every time you hauled the machine. :wink2 )

BTW, I'll happily argue this stuff with you guys, but I won't agrue with the owner's manual.

tylermckee

I know the owners manual says to cover it, but we never do, maybe on a long haul we would. Most of our trips are less than 15 minutes and usually in town so 40mph or so

Grader4me

digger242j said:
Yeah, but...the exhaust part of the turbo originates in the exhaust manifold. To flow through there, it'd have to flow throught the cylinders as well, before it came out the intake. (That would be beneficial--you'd get your air filter cleaned every time you hauled the machine. :wink2 )

BTW, I'll happily argue this stuff with you guys, but I won't agrue with the owner's manual.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. I mean't that air going into the exhaust will spin the turbo and come back out the exhaust. Where else could it go?:confused:

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
The manual will often state to cover the exhaust because of the sulphur in the exhaust system and rain. When water is driven in the exhaust you can form H2SO4....thats one for you to look up Digger.

Whilst everyone is striving for low sulphur in fuel manufacture it is a real serious issue for medium and low speed diesels and diesel fired boilers. If you are worried about it get a duckbill fitted.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Grader4me said:
Yeah, I hear what you are saying. I mean't that air going into the exhaust will spin the turbo and come back out the exhaust. Where else could it go?:confused:
In theory the air would flow through the engine backwards as digger suggests. In order for the turbo to spin, air has to flow through it, not bounce off of it. The air would pass through the open valves (hmmmm....this would require both the exhaust and intake valves to be open simultaneously.....now I'm scratching my head) and out the air filter. This air flow would be required in order for the turbo to spin.

Grader4me

You got me to, but couldn't enough air bounce around in there just to get the turbo spinning? Would it actually have to flow on through as you suggest? I don't think the turbo would be spinning very fast. Food for thought:yup

Dusty

Charter Member
i would just fill up the stack with tennis balls to keep the wind out