• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transport question

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been
I am thinking of purchasing an E 110 excavator. The machine weights about 12 tons. I have a 12 ton trailer I know the trailer unloaded weight is about 2 ton. My Question is is it legal to rest the bucket in the back of a dump truck to remove weight off of he trailer? I do this now with my pc 40 to allow more room on my trailer for my skid steer. I set the bucket close to the tailgate so the cornering is not a problem. I will have to buy a heavy er trailer eventually I guess but just wanted to run this buy you guys. Thanks for any input...:notworthy

greywynd

Don't forget, a portion of the weight is transferred to the truck at the hitch....depending on just how you balance things, you might still be legal....it will take some careful measuring and placement of the machine to figure it out.

Generally on tag alongs, excavators are loaded with the counterweight to the front of the trailer, the boom/stick pointing back, so often this will transfer a lot of weight to the truck anyway. Of course, make sure your hitch is rated for the tongue weight that is now going to be on there.

Now, to add, I wouldn't plan on this for the long term, or for long distance hauling etc. Running anything that close to 'max' is bound to shorten it's life span, as well as reduce any safety margins in the design, construction and components.

Last edited:

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
I think that you have to have a chain on the bucket for (legal) transport so I'm not sure how that would work out. Might also have to check the height of the stick out of the top of the truck too.

Grader4me

I've never seen anything in the cargo securement regulations in regards to your setup. I would question if this would be a legal way to haul an excavator. As Orchard Ex pointed out, you have to have a chain securing the bucket. I would check into it a bit more first.

Iron Horse

As it would not be possible to put the bucket directly over the tow hitch the turn ratio will be out a mile . The bucket will want too slide from side to side inside the truck . That's only while turning , when the truck and trailer are going through a dip or over a rise , the bucket will want too either dive into the truck or pull up . Something will break .

BIGDAN315

Occupation
Self employed in the excavating buis and have been
Don't forget, a portion of the weight is transferred to the truck at the hitch....depending on just how you balance things, you might still be legal....it will take some careful measuring and placement of the machine to figure it out.

Generally on tag alongs, excavators are loaded with the counterweight to the front of the trailer, the boom/stick pointing back, so often this will transfer a lot of weight to the truck anyway. Of course, make sure your hitch is rated for the tongue weight that is now going to be on there.

Now, to add, I wouldn't plan on this for the long term, or for long distance hauling etc. Running anything that close to 'max' is bound to shorten it's life span, as well as reduce any safety margins in the design, construction and components.

Good points to take , thanks

D5G

I would have to agree that you need a heavier trailer. Our excavation co has a Freightliner FL70 and an Eager Beaver 20 HALX Trailer; they can haul their Kubota KX121 and their Cat 262 at the same time, as the trailer is a 20 ton trailer. The Freightliner is a single axle truck, I'll see if I can find a pic to post. And don't forget the safety chains!

D5G

..oh and I forgot to say, they have a 10 ton Dynaweld too. Here are the pics..

Attachments

• P8241338.jpg
    P8241338.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 396
  • P8241341.jpg
    P8241341.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 401

lgammon

i would agree with above post that you will be fine for awhile. but woul look to upgrade later. we hauled 941's 943's 580sl's on our 12 miller tag for years. we got a 20 ton hudson when we bought the 953. about the bucket banging around back there. we used to haul our case hoes around like that for years and never had any problems with slapping, you would be amazed how little that bucket moves back there