• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Transmission for 1986 S1954 IH

Tenwheeler

Took a look and one has anti drain back valve and other one isn't is the difference I see besides diameter. Also noticed it when filling them up with oil too.
One is for trucks like yours. Opening on the filter is on top. These engines were used on many different applications as in construction and Ag. Some have the filter opening on the bottom when installed with space limitations on some.

Birken Vogt

Charter Member
So you are saying I should do the calipers too or could I unstick the stuck one? Yes I will be doing them in pairs it's like when doing king pins which make me cringe typing.

I had a FL something back in the early 2000s doing something similar. Non-pistons side pad ground into rotor. Replaced rotor, replaced caliper. Inspected a while later and the same pad had abnormal wear again. No other symptoms. Replaced the whole "spider" that held the caliper. Nothing I could see wrong with any of it but the symptoms were there. After replacing the spider, no further trouble.

Tenwheeler

So you are saying I should do the calipers too or could I unstick the stuck one? Yes I will be doing them in pairs it's like when doing king pins which make me cringe typing.
We used to rebuild them but with trucks the age of yours that usually does not work out for me. However you do it do the whole axle. Use nothing questionable.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I had a FL something back in the early 2000s doing something similar. Non-pistons side pad ground into rotor. Replaced rotor, replaced caliper. Inspected a while later and the same pad had abnormal wear again. No other symptoms. Replaced the whole "spider" that held the caliper. Nothing I could see wrong with any of it but the symptoms were there. After replacing the spider, no further trouble.
If you had to replace the whole spider sounds like something got hit somewhere in the past. I don't see how that would affect things then again your rig is different than mine as it would be impossible to affect this truck in that form unless as stated.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Replace both calipers and the rubber brake hoses. Bad hoses can hold pressure on the caliper.
I got new calipers on the way too, so far $981 for new rotors (stealership ordered), new calipers, new oil seals, new brake pads and new brake caliper housing bolts. New hoses hmmm they could swell shut over time, going to look for those now too. Might as well put DOT 5.1 in the system:D

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
One is for trucks like yours. Opening on the filter is on top. These engines were used on many different applications as in construction and Ag. Some have the filter opening on the bottom when installed with space limitations on some.
I put the anti drain back one on with the other one. Think I'm going to name this truck Frankenstein. Eaton 6 speed transmission in it, air seats in it, hubs and brakes from nothing that matches with the VIN, new clutch, extended drive shaft and turned the fuel up done by me so far.

BDB

I put the anti drain back one on with the other one. Think I'm going to name this truck Frankenstein. Eaton 6 speed transmission in it, air seats in it, hubs and brakes from nothing that matches with the VIN, new clutch, extended drive shaft and turned the fuel up done by me so far.
Hope you like that new trans, I too have a 1985 S1900, DT466, SPICER 5SPD./2SPD Rear,Air brakes. I like the old truck, but not the Spicer trans, you got me to thinking about a reasonable swap! My truck has a dump bed on it; maybe a better shifting trans would help with the loads.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Hope you like that new trans, I too have a 1985 S1900, DT466, SPICER 5SPD./2SPD Rear,Air brakes. I like the old truck, but not the Spicer trans, you got me to thinking about a reasonable swap! My truck has a dump bed on it; maybe a better shifting trans would help with the loads.
Don't know if my clutch isn't adjusted right or not on mine, but I do know it has problem down shifting I have to rev match and it's a full synchro transmission hence the FS6206A. So it's not needing a double shift.
Reason I say about the clutch possibly being out of adjustment is sometimes it has hard time at idle going into 1st or 2nd and sometimes not. Once taking off from either 1st or 2nd it's no problem once I get it in gear and when you are sitting at red light with it out of gear you got to fight to put in either or when it the light hits green it can get interesting. I don't want to wear the throwout bearing out with clutch pushed in whole time.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Double Disc? Something else may be wrong if has good free travel. No reason if a single plate clutch to drag, double disc the center plates can tend to hang.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Double Disc? Something else may be wrong if has good free travel. No reason if a single plate clutch to drag, double disc the center plates can tend to hang.
It's a double disc, brand new too. Was looking at the book last night I just got CTS-4219 and it shows there needs to be 1/8 space between the pawl and the throwout bearing with pedal all the way up so I will check that. All of the linkage was taken loose when I put the "new" transmission in and I had to fabricate the linkage to transmission with old linkage.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Took drivers side hub off to get brake rotor off and well the outer race is spinning freely on the hub, no play to it but spins freely. Does this mean I have to replace the entire hub assembly or getting new race/cone is enough till I replace the hub?

Last edited:

Tenwheeler

We can tell you how to patch it but that is just not proper on the steer. The life you save maybe your own.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
We can tell you how to patch it but that is just not proper on the steer. The life you save maybe your own.
Little bit of JB weld smeared around the race on external sides wipe off excess install and wait 24 hrs before assembling hub back on. Try to make this last about 2 months, not hauling anything but truck camper I live in, damn front brakes have drained finances. Need about 5000 or less miles before I can change it out. Seen a Twin Disc marine transmission repaired with hole in transmission on a pressure channel with JB weld, I refused to do it had the owner do it and I took the day off.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Staking the hub bore lightly and adding bearing retention compound from Loctite will work once, comes out loose next time replace the hub.
That's what the mechanic did for the company owner who last owned this truck, I can see remnants of it in the pits in the area of where it went. Just not easy finding this hub only found one in Colorado for $250, Budd 105312. Would love to park it and not use the truck till fix, but in middle of living in it and my property is 1200 miles away.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Stake it again, reset the compound but order up the new hub, usually do not last as long second try around.

Tenwheeler

I have a farm tractor that had a hub like that but 4 times worse. New one was four days out and crop in the field. Staked the hub fairly hard. Cut some notches on the outside of the race. Installed it with JB weld overnight and got the crop up the next day.
Intended to replace it but it is still running 15+ years later. Top speed is about 20 MPH and it is usually in a field.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
I have a farm tractor that had a hub like that but 4 times worse. New one was four days out and crop in the field. Staked the hub fairly hard. Cut some notches on the outside of the race. Installed it with JB weld overnight and got the crop up the next day.
Intended to replace it but it is still running 15+ years later. Top speed is about 20 MPH and it is usually in a field.
Thought about staking it with mig welding dots around the outside of the race, then grind them down till little is left then press it in with JB weld and wait 24 hrs to assemble it back on the truck.