• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trans oil 1977 john deere 410D

eagle98

Can someone give me some advice on trans oil for my backhoe Its a 1977 john deere 410 D Brand and weight thanks for your help..,..

leisureexpress

Look in the manual if you have one, the spec on the oil is either a J20A or J20B or J20C, etc. Match that and you should be fine. Or you could go with John Deere Hy-gard and there are definitely people who swear by OEM fluids. If it is a leaky old machine (I have a 1974 JD 410b) you could go with the cheaper oil........... or not.

At a local farm/ranch supply place 5 gal of the J20 spec is $30-$40, JD Hy-gard is about double that.

There is a lighter viscosity for colder climates if you use it much in the winter.

By the way, the transmission oil is the same as the hydraulic oil on that machine. (maybe you knew that? :)

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
don't go cheap on the oil ...I had a leak on the cooler hoses ...the trany quit due to low fluid...I grabbed some that was for a case it was free and on site...it worked but not very well...evidently the case fluid was not anti foaming...foaming trany fluid caused it to not stay engaged properly it would slip and drop out of forward or reverse...changed it to higher grade meant for a JD and like magic it worked flawless...

eagle98

Thank you for your reply. They sell 1 gal 2gal and 5gal of JD hy-gard. I'll go with that. someone also said i could use UTF non foaming. If you could also tell me how i could check the hydro fluid and filter in this machine, I have no manual for this machine but Ive learned a lot on this site. thanks again....

bigboytoy

Occupation
retired Pipe fitter
the 1983 510b transmission is in two parts the reverser mounted on the engine and the differential/ 4 gears between the rear wheels. The reverser rely s on hydraulic pressure to engage forward and reverse so smoothly....when the fluid has air in it it has trouble building pressure because air will compress...fluid doesn't. in my year of machine the filter and dip stick are obvious from the bottom. The differential/4 gears also is a reservoir for the hydraulic oil for the cylinders and attachments it also has its own dip stick. if the fluids too light it will bleed everywhere...if the fluids too heavy it will sound like a saw blade in the winter. cylinder fluid is not that critical, but that's just me maybe. I would add 20W iso 68 and if its older and bleeds easy try 30w iso 100. 10 w iso 32 is a waste of time on my machine, it will leak everywhere.