• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trans Jack

Old Doug

Has anyone used a jack like this. I got it from a estate so i dont know much about it i used it on my pickup but its so big and wide around 3 feet i couldnt hardly get to the trans. Another problem it must be missing something because it wanted to freewheel unscrew and go down.picture (16).png

mitch504

Yep, used to use one like that. There was a way to lock it, but it's been so long I don't remember how. It had no problem with an 18-speed Mack.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Looks like the big caster on the "front" the left side of the picture is bent. That could make it a problem to maneuver with weight on it.

Not sure but does look similar to the NAPA brand one we had at the shop.

Old Doug

The lever is a ratchet for the handle. i think the round cover on the screw was part of the brake. Here is another jack i have i havent used it.picture (18).png picture (17).png

Old Doug

I used the yellow jack on a 10 speed and it lifted it easy. I used a chain vise grip as the brake. I put a clutch in a truck were i work they dont have the greatest shop and i made a mistake i pulled the trans in the stall were a tank truck is parked it has a sloped floor the runs to a cantainment area so the jack wanted to roll on its own.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Used one similar to the smaller one a time or two, but it had a friction lock you had to overcome to bring the jack back down from up. Would not want to use one without that friction brake working.

Old Doug

I would like to see another like the yellow one to find out how thw brake worked. I was about to scrap the small one until i used the other one now i would like to build a tilting table for it. The yellow one is so big its hard to use on a pickup its so wide.

lantraxco

I would like to see another like the yellow one to find out how thw brake worked. I was about to scrap the small one until i used the other one now i would like to build a tilting table for it. The yellow one is so big its hard to use on a pickup its so wide.
Yup, that monster was made for big boy toy gearboxes...