• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer towing...equipment

TIREDIRON

Does anyone know the proper way to tie down a excavator under 5 ton. I know you need for 4 seperate tie downs, but do you need to tie down bucket ? We recieved a ticket because it wasn't tied down. unhappy in ny..:mad:

90plow

I thought you were supposed to and I guess you are if they gave you a ticket for it. But judging by whats happened to others if you tie down the bucket they'll just find something else... its all about the money.
-Eric

Orchard Ex

Super Moderator
Does anyone know the proper way to tie down a excavator under 5 ton. I know you need for 4 seperate tie downs, but do you need to tie down bucket ? We recieved a ticket because it wasn't tied down. unhappy in ny..:mad:

Here's a link to the FMCSA rules. http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations/truck/vehicle/cs-policy.htm
Section 393.130 covers moving heavy equipment. That's where it calls for the 4 tiedowns and tiedowns over accessory equipment. However in that section it also says:
"Vehicles, equipment and machinery which is lighter than 4,536 kg (10,000 lbs) may also be secured in accordance with the provisions of this section, with & sect;393.128, or in accordance with the provisions of & sect; & sect;393.100 through 393.114."
Those sections don't call for the same methods. It leaves a lot to interpretation in my mind. I'm not sure if your state regs call for more than the FMCSA does so you need to check that too.