• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer too narrow?

MH110

Hi All,

i’ve narrowed down my medium duty trailer search to a diamond C HDT 20k tilt trailer, but I wanted to get some input on the inner width between fenders.

The standard width between fenders is 82”, no problem, our widest skid steer is 77-78” wide. I really want the disc hydraulic brakes, I have them on the gooseneck trailer and they are fantastic, especially on hills and pulling heavy loads, they almost never fade and if a seal blows, you still got brakes, but to get them on this smaller trailer, it decreases the width between the fenders to 79”, so it would be a really tight squeeze when hauling the CAT289 CTL. It will be mostly used for hauling smaller auxiliary equipment, but there are some jobs that the gooseneck cannot traverse, hence another reason for buying this shorter bumper pull trailer.

My question is, has anyone run into problems with close clearances like this? I can get the extra thick fenders so I’m not worried about rubbing against them, but anyone have any thoughts or stories to share? They have bolt on cheaper fenders, but I don’t want to be bolting and unbolting them every time.

Thanks in advance!

terex herder

Contact PJ Trailers in Texas. They have a heavy deckover tilt bed. I have their 14K deckover tilt, and they have a heavier one now. For a mass market trailer, PJ is as good as any I've seen.