1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Trailer rebuild/repair thread

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by RZucker, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Welder Dave

Welder Dave Senior Member

What's interesting with my exploded drum was they weren't air brakes and the truck wasn't heavy enough to require a yearly commercial vehicle inspection or even a special drivers license. The seller (Fred) knew the inspection company from his work. He thought having a fresh inspection (sticker) would make it easier to sell at the price he wanted. In hindsight he made a huge mistake.

Now the inspection company is even more to blame. I suspect if I would have pressed the issue, after talking to the head of the gov't. branch that licenses shops to do inspections, this shop could have lost their inspection license. When I first talked to the inspecting shop about the exploded drum, the owner's response was we've known Fred for a few years so "We took Fred's word for it"(the bakes were done), then added "the rest of the truck was in really good shape wasn't it?" What? The brakes are the most important safety requirement on a vehicle. One of the main reasons heavy trucks require inspections. The brake shop I knew that did the work said they always pull at least one wheel when doing an inspection and the inspection report also requires that any items that may need attention be listed on the report. Fred's high priced lawyer tried to argue that there's no way to say how many miles I drove the truck and brakes wear out. Fair enough but then how can you have 120% worn drums and 99.9% new brake pads? (The repair shop re-used the pads because there was no measurable wear on them) The repair shop was more than willing to testify in court. The shop that did the inspection thought that Fred's brother in law was a H.D. mechanic and that would explain how there could be brand new brake pads but worn out drums and wheel bearings. Even without the inspection I still had a very strong case of gross misrepresentation as to the condition of the vehicle. I went online to see what is involved to go to court and the example was worn out brakes on a car represented as in excellent condition. The bogus inspection made it pretty much a slam dunk. They did not want to go to court.

DMiller likes this.
  2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

The fact is If you were to set in a {truck stop-rest area} where trucks congregate. Just how many drivers do you think your going to see doing an inspection after their 10 or 34.
    Maybe 30% actually do a daily VIR the rest just type A-OK on the E-log and off they go. And by some of the brake work I've sen done by shops, the DOT could generate more
    revenue by giving a random IQ test to a high percentage of mechanics employed in shops. It's ugly on both sides of the road.

DMiller likes this.
  3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Funny thing on way to the Forum, had a MO State Inspection license EONS ago, still holds true today that as soon as a machine left our inspection place, had as little as a Mile behind them the Inspection was valid but any consideration as to a Fine or failure causing us legal battle was NIL. State gave that one to the mechanics so they would do the inspections and not walk away from this. Now a Failed ball joint or some other mechanism OBVIOUSLY failing prior to the inspection would garner extra oversight but no legal woes. DOT Inspections were different, You put YOUR Name on the form and the decal, YOU were responsible for whatever failed on that machine for a select period of time which seemed to be up to the DOT Brown Shirts here. Had a Brake failure come back to haunt ME after three months, drum disintegrated but shoes were good, all else was Good but DOT came to ask questions and that 26 years ago. Cannot imagine these days, I did perform PTI on the rig I was driving last year, Got tagged by Mo DOT as well STL DOT inspections, all passed good where was ignored the rest of the year.

Ronsii likes this.