1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer rebuild/repair thread

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by RZucker, Feb 16, 2019.

1. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Completely relate
    Would not ask anyone working with me to do anytging I would not do

Really aggravating when told no thanks or wanted something better

2. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

In the shop I know what Gayle is going to do before he does it and vise verse. We know where we are headed from the git go. We give each other a hard time all the time, makes time go by.
    If you can't cuss and joke in the shop----your working in the Dead Zone.

Mother Deuce, RZucker and DMiller like this.
  3. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    Sounds like you guys are speaking of work and I have to ask "WTF is that"???

RZucker and DMiller like this.
  4. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Yeah
    Gave that up too for a living!!

5. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

I think this thread is called Trailer rebuild/repair thread, and I believe not too sure, you have work to rebuild or repair.

RZucker and DMiller like this.
  6. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

I'll have to retrain myself to believing staring at a computer monitor watching a trailer being rebuilt is work and should be compensated for.

I promise to work hard at it too.

But for now, the term "Work" is "Greek" to me.

DMiller likes this.
  7. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    I have a few more years to go before I have that l have that option. But when I do... I think I'm going to wear the tires off the motorhome first seeing some country, then decide what I really want to do. :)

DMiller likes this.
  8. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

I understand that fully. Been thinking about doing near the same. There is a whole lot to see in this county without ever leaving it.

DMiller likes this.
  9. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

Computer monitor has nothing to do with it, and I don't think anything was mentioned about money. Work is American to me.

DMiller likes this.
  10. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

Work has always fascinated me. You, as I, believe it the same. I made a living watching it be performed; keeping those performing a task delivering my expectations yielding the product or service desired. If you fly, you benefit from many of my contributions that get you from point A to B safely. Computers, software, hardware, and integration were a very large player for a lot of years. It all qualified as "Work".

Ask a millennial what their definition of "Work" is, or how they perform the task, and I'd wager a computer enters the fray. I'm afraid our definition is outmoded by time and technology. The task Mr. Zucker is performing on a trailer? Doubt it's from the goodness of his heart and there are a few good American Greenbacks involved for the task, or "Work". This is just my opinion however and subject to individual interpretation.

Now with all I've been through, I'm like a career professional public aid recipient where I don't want no stinking job, I got the government supporting me. However, I earned that right over the course and am comfortable in retirement for staying that course.

Thanks,

DMiller likes this.
  11. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    I still perform Hand Work, enjoy the fruits of my own labors and the achievement results of a job well performed even if just on my own old junk. I am on SS as well my own pension, limited to that $17800 MAX income restriction before they start hacking at my Paid For SSI benefit. Will most likely not ever bend a wrench on any but my own projects or for a Friend here and there ever again in trade for non-financial compensations but is enough. Being able to pick and choose, take my own sweet time and not worry as to putting food on the table has a certain draw to it these days.

Mother Deuce likes this.
  12. 1693TA

1693TA Well-Known Member

I'm about the same but 59 and also draw SS and pension. I have no medical problems, (they're all mental) but one of the civil service benefits is the SS supplement with 56 years of age and 30 years of credible service. In essence I qualify just as I were 62. I did work 2.5 years longer than eligibility but was involved in several projects that were both beneficial to the flying public, and personally rewarding. I therefore stayed at it till completions were attained. The reigns were then handed over to the next generation and haven't looked back.

Easy to "massage" that $17,800 figure in your favor if you like as it's a "net" figure. I still do quite a bit of work and happen to like equipment. Capitalization, amortization, depreciation, expenses, etc. are all figured into the equation. I make purchase of something, it's recorded to net against income.

Remember, and as my grandpa used to say: "It's not what you make, "It's" what you keep" when related to money.

I always followed his advice and it's not wronged me yet.