• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer park style Motor Grader

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I do believe that's the craziest looking thing I've ever seen! I wish there were better pics of it.

ScottAR

I understand back in the day tractor/grader conversions were fairly
common. Speedway was a popular brand. I've seen farmalls, 8Ns,
and an unknown model Allis set up this way. Never a Case though.

Someone might have graphed on the Case to a grader conversion
for a different model tractor? Just guessing.

B&S Grading

Occupation
School, And Grading
I Think That Is Freaking Weird And Cool All At Once. Pretty Innovative If You Didn't Have The Money To Buy A Grader.

trukfan

Occupation
Maintenance Tech for a machine shop
I've seen 2 different tractor graders like that over the summer. One was an Allis, with all manual blade controls, at a tractor a buddy and I pulled at. The other one was a Ford 9n that hydraulic controls on it. Both were in great shape, and after using the Allis for a while, I would imagine your arms would make Popeye jealous.

TriHonu

I've seen a couple of these recently. A definite step up from the old horse drawn road patrol we used to pull behind the tractor at the in-laws farm.

Attachments

• Allis_B_Grader.jpg
    Allis_B_Grader.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 4,763

LonestarCobra

Here is one that is a McCormick Deering 10-20 with an Austin grader. It is all an original factory conversion job.

Attachments

• MGCSIDE.jpg
    MGCSIDE.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 3,837
  • MGSIDE.jpg
    MGSIDE.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 3,073

Engineer4255

Pretty sure Huber still makes their Maintainer, which in a sense was a tractor with a blade hung underneath. Was quite popular at one time from what I have been told.

DChestnut

Here is one that is a McCormick Deering 10-20 with an Austin grader. It is all an original factory conversion job.

Hi. Just wondering how you was able to identfy that the grader on this I-20 is an Austin grader? I purchased one last night night that is almost identical to the one in your pictures. Cab is a little different. Anyways, mine has a tag on the left beam above the blade, but except for a few numbers there isn't anything that I can find that says what brand it is. I found on some castings a G stamped into it. Hoping to find out what brand it is plus get it home. Thanks in advance.

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
Hi. Just wondering how you was able to identfy that the grader on this I-20 is an Austin grader? I purchased one last night night that is almost identical to the one in your pictures. Cab is a little different. Anyways, mine has a tag on the left beam above the blade, but except for a few numbers there isn't anything that I can find that says what brand it is. I found on some castings a G stamped into it. Hoping to find out what brand it is plus get it home. Thanks in advance.

Is yours maybe an Adams motor grader?

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
The antique tractor magazine published by Ford collectors had a very good article several years ago. I remember it was the American Road Maintainer. The manufacturer was careful to make the distinction of it's not being a grader. An example is in Cavendish VT made from a Farmall M. Others I've seen were made using smaller tractors. The one in Cavendish seized a piston. The connecting rod was cut off, the journal was wrapped with a leather belt, and a cut tin can was wrapped around it held in place with a few hose clamps. On three cylinders they kept using it.

My sons think I'm nuts to want to fabricate an under slung blade for a large 4x4 backhoe.

Queenslander

Very interesting article Graderfan, I particularly liked this statement.

"Austin-International Motor Graders can be supplied with straight front wheels if anyone insists upon having them, but the leaning wheels are worth so much more than their additional cost that is hard to see how anyone would consider for a minute being without them."

Bit different to the modern day sales spiel.