• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer paint

Electra_Glide

Well, I had new fenders put on my trailer. They painted the fenders, and now it makes the rest of the trailer look pretty shabby. I want to give it a quick wire-brush, and shoot a coat of paint on it. I thought about going for a full-blown sandblast and repaint, but I'm saving that for when I have to replace the deck boards (next year). I just want to do something that will make it look better than it does now.

I can get Rustoleum at the local Home Depot (2 minutes form the house), or I can drive 45 minutes to get to a Tractor Supply and buy some "implement paint". Both cost about the same. I don't see any reason not to use Rustoleum, but maybe I'm missing something.

Any info would be appreciated.

Joe

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
i dunno depends what look your going for, the rustolem paint will work, but finish will leave something to be desired and isn't really that good....I would suggest going to the local paint shop or maybe tractor supply has it and getting some epoxy primer, then paint with a nice quality topcoat. This will be very resistant to corrosion...on the other hand its only gonna be a year, maybe the rustolem will be enough.....next year I would definatly shoot it with 2 part epoxy primer thought...nothing works like it

rino1494

I agree, just get something cheap to get you through this year. Then next year, strip her down and sandblast and shoot it with a epoxy paint. We did that to our 35 ton detach 6 years ago and it is still holding up good. We also painted our dump truck box and it is holding up great.