• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer hitch/fabbing question

Preppypyro

I have an older pintle hitch equipment trailer. The round ring is welded onto the hitch. When I hook the trailer up to the back of my pickup truck, the trailer sits low on the front end.

Heres my thing. I have one of those pintle hitches that go into the receiver of your truck. Its one of those ones that you bolt together and has a small height adjustment. Its maxed out on the highest setting, but still needs to be about 6 inches or so higher.

I was thinking of taking a thick piece of metal, drilling some holes in there, and raising the pintle hook part from the receiver hitch part, and bolting it back together.

Im not really looking to haul much on the trailer (5k ish max) and my pickup truck can safetly tow that.

I would like opinions on what would be a safe and strong way to get something to work for me.

I know all about What the DOT might say about it too :D The towing with my pickup that I plan to do with it is on the farm gravel backroads, but I still want it to be safe.

Ideas?

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
I realize you are talking about modifying the one you already have but I just want to let you know that AW Direct, one of our sponsors, sells these. They have this extra long one that is rated at 10,000# for $55. That's one of the lower prices I've seen. :)

Preppypyro

Thanks man, I dont know how easy or expensive that would be to get to me here in canada, but I will try to find it and check it out, thanks again for the tip as i really would rather buy something thats DOT friendly :D The less problems with those guys the better.