• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer for dump truck

csthompson12

Hello, I have a 2000 Chevy c7500 dump. 7.4l gas engine. 26k gvw. Hydraulic brakes. Its got a 5 speed manual with split axle.

The truck seem to have a very stout plate on the back for towing. I was wondering what a good trailer for my equipment would be. I’ve got a approximate 8.5 ton backhoe and 8 ton excavator..

Obliviously the trailer would need to have electric brakes because the truck does not have air. I’ve had trouble finding a heavier trailer with electric brakes. Any towing would most likely be short distance..

suladas

The tandem duals are much better, but there is a reason there is so many 3-7k axle trailers around, because of the lower cost to run them, and they are also lighter so more capacity. Trailer is much cheaper to buy and maintain. To do a brake job on 10k axle will be very very painful, while on a 7k they are insanely cheap. Part of it depends how long you need, if it's really short like 20', then the duallies are better for turning for sure, but once you get around 25' they aren't nearly as bad. The tires will still last quite awhile and are cheap anyway.

PeterG

Occupation
Landscape Construction, General Contractor
That's a lot of weight to tow on that size truck. You need a class A CDL to tow that weight. Some of the newer trailers are lighter in weight. I like some of the heavy duty old stuff. Around here it's easy to find an old Eager Beaver trailer. Of course the trailer likely has a weight over 6000lbs. I have an Eager Beaver dual axle trailer, and haul my 6 ton mini on it. The truck is an International 4900 with air brakes and DT466 motor. I have a class A CDL. This set up doesn't like hills. But I just bought a Kenworth T800.Large Excavator.jpg

mx727

Look for a 15 ton trailer. Not any more money and you'll have extra capacity if you ever upgrade to the next size of equipment.

skyking1

what mitch is saying regarding tandems. They are practically nimble in comparison. If I go a bigger excavator I would be forced into triaxle dual wheel 30 tonners, and don't want to go there.