• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer Ceiling

Old Doug

I have a 45foot trailer were i have alot of my shop stuff in drillpress,hydpress,lathe,mill, shaper and other stuff. The walls have plywood on them but i would like to heat it some what so i need to do something with the ceiling. Has anyone done this before? Do i need a vaperbearer? what would be the ceapest way to do this i hope to build another shop in the next 3 years?

Delmer

What kind of heat and how warm do you want it? The cheapest way for three years is going to be just waste a little heat most likely. You don't want a vapor barrier on the inside with a vapor barrier on the outside (aluminum).

Reading this a second time, the ceiling is bare metal? Ideally you'd add an arched roof like a mobile home and blow cellulose up there. If you want something quick to make it feel a little warmer and cut down on the dripping from condensation, add cardboard or celotex under the ceiling crossmembers, but only if the trailer doesn't leak. If it leaks, get a 50'x10' of plastic or used lumber tarp, or billboard tarp, and hang is sloping across the ceiling. Like one 1x2" the length of the trailer down the center to hold it up, and one on each wall a few inches down. That airspace will insulate well enough, and it won't drip on your stuff, just down the walls.

bam1968

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
What about using some 4x8 sheets of some type of styrofoam insulation on the inside and use lumber to keep them in place..... Then hopefully, if you choose, you could reuse them in your new shop. Just a thought.. It probably wouldn't be ideal but might be worth a try.

Tradesman

Occupation
Contractor
Have it sprayed would be the best but not the cheapest. Most spray companies have a minimum charge usually around $500 still could be cheaper than a bunch of foam and lumber to hold it in place

joe--h

Heat it how?
Propane heaters put out 1 gallon of water for each gallon of propane.
Rust-r-us with propane.

Old Doug

I wont use propane i have a wood furnace that i may use by seting it out side in a tin incloser i think wood is about the dryest heat there is. The door is shoot on the trailer so i plan on building a wall in the end with a large walk in door and window.

DIYDAVE

'Pends on how much $ you have to spend. Spray in is the best, labor-wise, and quality, if you don't have the time, but styrofoam panels, recycled from old garage doors is cheap or free, and sometimes you can find used full panel(4 x8'), that someone has removed from a warehouse, on Craigs list, cheap...

Delmer

Foam is effective. If you use foam and don't cover it, make a door at the front end of the trailer, if you have a fire you have seconds to get out alive with uncovered foam.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Are you trying to heat it to keep things warm all the time or only when you work in it? For years, we used 500 quartz floodlights for light and heat. Or, you can use a milking shed heater. I agree with Delmar, do the minimal if you plan to build a new shop soon. What is the temperature range where you live? That would have a lot to do with any decision you make. My impression of Missouri (been there once) is that it is pretty mild, You wouldn't want too much heat, you might want AC though.