• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trailer air brakes

In hellinois, we hauled limestone from the quarries. I used to replace chambers every other brake change which was between 3-4 years depending on the driver. The springs were usually shot a short time past that.
I actually discovered the problem when I checked the travel of the rod with the parking brake on, and with the hand brake on, all 4 chambers had a broken spring, replaced 2 so far, and the park brakes hold like a champ. Thanks to all for the advice, I appreciate it.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Truck I drive is a 2015, all FOUR Spring cans were replaced soon after I started driving it, ALL had bad springs and all four auto slacks were junk.

Really when it comes to brakes unless it's a hands on inspection-all the advise is pretty worthless including mine.
2012 should have auto slacks and unless he measuring the stroke we won't know because there is no camera
that will perform that.

And one real big fact unless the OP or anyone else on here is brake certified and carrying a
{Brake Inspection Certification Card as required under mandate 396.25 section 3{A} as described within the federal register. They can't even touch a air brake system-can't even adjust them. So it's hands off for everyone.

But I have been trained and updated to cover all air disc and carry a card.
I did go to a brake certification class, but I never received my certificate, that was about 24 years ago. I may have forgot some of it, that is why if I don't know, I don't mess with it./