1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Trailer Accident

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Nac, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Nac

Nac Senior Member

Construction
    Here is a 20 ton tag being pulled by a single axle it had a Genie boom lift on went around the bend and rolled the trailer the machine stayed chain on but the trailer got lose from the truck. I was on my way to pick up a box and saw this while I was makeing the bend that why the pic was not so good. Later on that day I was getting a pin made and a guy walks in looking for a new pintel hitch for his truck it was the same guy that rolled the tailer. It seem that the latch bent and thats why he lost the trailer.

Attached Files:

2. celticcrusader

celticcrusader Well-Known Member

a good example of why a 20t trailer shouldn't be on a single axle. better yet I have seen contractors pulling 12t trailers with thier p/u's and it would scare you if you saw what they had on the trailers. what happened to common sense or fear ?

3. Nac

Nac Senior Member

Construction
    When i saw the guy buying a new pintel hitch they where going to put a 45 ton pintel hitch on the single axle. That what i have on my triaxle the problem is not the hitch it is the driver in my view.

4. NateV

NateV Well-Known Member

Excavating
    Why shouldnt 20 ton trailers be pulled with a single axle? Thats how we pull ours. We are leagl to put 12 ton on the deck. Like NAC said its more the driver than anything. You cant drive the truck like a sports car.

5. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    Are those Genies, or those lifts in general, top heavy?

6. Nac

Nac Senior Member

Construction
    yes top heavy and long putting all the wieght on the tongue of the trailer

7. celticcrusader

there's nothing wrong as long as you don't over load the truck and balancing the load on the trailer is also important. Just like flying weight&balance!!!!

8. AtlasRob

AtlasRob Senior Member

owner operator
    Ooops!

O, It would have been a manufacturing fault then. I hope he's going to sue the butt off somebody :rolleyes: I was thinking maybe he was going to fast :D

9. nedly05

nedly05 Senior Member

I move everything we own with a 20 ton trailer and a single axel. We never load it to 20 tons, 14 is the most, and thats not very often. I mostly move our 8 ton excavator, and it's fine, been through DOT and everything. I wouldnt dream of loading a 160 on and going, thats too much for a single axle, a little common sense is all you need.

10. celticcrusader

I'm sure the latch bent after the trl. rolled or he had negitive tounge weight to start with and the eye lifting up bent it

11. thejdman04

thejdman04 Senior Member

driver was prym mostly to blame

12. danielm

danielm Well-Known Member

I bet that left a mark. :D

13. ASPHALT04

ASPHALT04 Well-Known Member

Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
    Looking at the way the tongue on the trailer is broken, it looks like their might have been some fatigue or a previous crack on the right side of the tongue. You wouldn't think that just the trailer coming loose would cause only one side of the tongue to sever like that??

Kinda confusing to me!!

14. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    I don't see anywhere the tongue is broken. :confused:

15. Construct'O

Construct'O Senior Member

Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
    Hard to tell if that is a break or a shadow in the picture.Lower part of the tongue at the triangle?????:beatsme:usa

16. RollOver Pete

RollOver Pete Senior Member

Operating Engineer/mechanic
    Problem?
    Whats the problem :beatsme

Attached Files:

17. cat320

cat320 Charter Member

don't see anything wrong looks like most U-Hauls going down the road lol.

18. euclid

euclid Senior Member

Engineering
    so being complacent is the object to the lesson here? I mean it can't happen to me! Until an accident does happen do we figure out something is wrong :Banghead

19. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator

I think that's the shadow of the jack. It seems to me the metal floor between the tongue members would have obvious signs of bending if the tongue had failed, but it looks nice and smooth.

A friend of mine ended up in exactly the same situation. Hauling a 65 foot Genie lift, on a 20 ton tag trailer, except that he was driving a tandem. It happened going around a corner, after having been stopped for a red light, in (I think) only 2nd or 3rd gear (out of 10). That's why I asked above whether they're top heavy. A lot of people pointed fingers at him, but seeing this very similar accident makes me wonder if tag trailers are just not suited for hauling those lifts. Could it be that a fifth wheel trailer is more stable, while a pintle gives room for the trailer to lean too much?

I guess the moral of the story is to be extra cautious if you're the next guy asked to haul one with similar equipment.

20. Tacodriver

Tacodriver Well-Known Member

Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
    I have come very close to doing that exact thing with a Genie lift on tag trailer. Looked in the mirror and could clearly see the springs completely unloaded and I was crawling around the corner:eek:.
    I am a lot more comfortable pulling stuff with our semi truck and lowbed.