• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Trail King trailer differences

Essayons

Does anyone know the main difference between the TK Commercial Series and the TK Advantage series? The feature i want is the ability to adjust the ride height of the trailer. It shows in the literature for the commercial series what they call a Hi-Lo Gooseneck, it is not shown for the advantage series. So i guess my question is this..... Is the ability to adjust the ride height called a Hi-Lo Gooseneck? If anyone owns or operates either of these trailer i would love some feedback.

P.S. I cannot make contact with any salesman at TK because they are either out of the office or just busy.

Kgmz

Occupation
General Contractor
We once owned both a TK70 and TK110 Construction Advantage series.

I just looked at the brochure for the Commercial series trailer, and yes it does have adjustable ride height. Look on the second page you will see the Hi-Lo on the bottom left corner which adjusts the neck up and down which both series are capable of. But look at the top row 3 picture where it says adjustable ride height and show the locks or tabs that can be adjusted so that the neck sits down tight against them at 4 different positions.

The Advantage constructions series neck is a different style and can be adjusted up and down but not for long transport down the road, since when it up higher than normal it is supported only by the hydralics. There were times when on rough ground I adjusted the trailer up for ground clearance when on site.

rigandig

Kgmz is spot on in his summary of the TK Commercial series. Generally speaking, the highest position on that trl should be plenty for normal travel. Entering a job site you can raise it and let the Hyd support it to get over a hump or some rough ground. Also, there is a raise and lower valve on the back, or there should be, for the air-ride. That will gain ya a little bit of height.
On the TK Advantage trl, if you look there are 2 position that come from the factory. The large door is the low position, and then there is another "door" that is hinged that you can flip up to gain some height. That second door is about a 1" shim. I have a TK130 that has that system. I had TK shear off two additional shims that are 1/2 x3/4xthe length of the existing "door", and since then have added another size shim that is 2"x1"x the lenght of the "door". Those extra shims allow me to run the deck on the highway without riding against the hydraulics with plenty of underclearance. One downfall is when you have all the shim in place, you change the 5th wheel angle enough for it to be a concern if you were to drive into a steep incline, like a driveway, etc. Ya just have to keep that in mind. It also allows for lowering the air ride down at the back in an instance where you have a load that is over heighth at the rear of the load. Helps to keep from "touching down" while on the highway, like from the bounce when entering and leaving a bridge. I have pulled the other style trailer, but would prefer mine over it regarding the hyd neck styles.
Rigandig

Last edited:

JBlackwell

Both Trail King models have adjustable necks. The neck design is different though not sure why except TK might have thought their old neck design was outdated which is an arguable conversation in itself.

The reason you can't get a hold of TK is probably because they are so slow they have cut back on hours. I know they just shut down their Pennsylvania plant.

Can I ask why you have to have a Trail King? There are some other trailer manufacturers out there that built just as good of a trailer arguably speaking of course. It is all preference.

Justin

Chaz Murray

Can I ask why you have to have a Trail King? There are some other trailer manufacturers out there that built just as good of a trailer arguably speaking of course. It is all preference.

Justin

Or some better ;) But we just don't have the Hydraulic neck yet :(

Essayons

Kgmz and rigandig, thank you for your input, that is exactly what i wanted to know.

JBlackwell, i don't have to have a trail king, they are just the ones that i had the brochures for that had adjustable ride height. I do like the looks of the commercial TK but i am more concerned about performance. Anything is better than what i currently run, it has about 4 inches of clearance with 50K onboard, no air ride and its a scissor neck. I will be happy with pretty much any trailer that has adjustable ride height and 50 ton capacity. Chances are very good that i won't be a TK because it will be a gov. bid and of course i cant' specify name brand, only "mission specific requirements" so who knows what brand i will get.

Thanks for the input, when i get it i will post pictures.

Dualie

if you worried about performance i would be looking for a company that builds their trailers with T-1 steel and engineers them to make the best use our of it,

Jammar7

It's actually very simple guys. It's all about marketing. The advantage series is a "construction" model - sold through construction dealers. While the commercial is just what it says.... a "commercial" series - sold by commercial trailer dealers. It's all about shelf space. It allows Trail King to have multiple dealers in the same area competing for your business. Kinda gives them an............ "advantage" now doesn't it?

Sort of like Tide and Cheer fabric soap. What's difference between them? Cheer has "color crystals" that's all. What are color crystals? Nothing, just colored soap.

They are very similar, the lifting mechanics are vertually the same. Neither is considered a "high lift" gooseneck by industry standards. Both are high pressure systems. And while both have trouble lifting at or near capacity, the commercial is at it's limits at 55 ton with a 108" swing clearance gooseneck. One note to mention.... if you think servicing the advantage cylinders is tough, you'll really cuss up a storm if you have to work on the commercial series cylinders. Being high pressure, it's just a matter of time.

Question for you; Looking at the gooseneck.... what's the difference between TK, Eager Beaver, Load King, Interstate, and Trail Eze?

Depending on what it is you want out of a trailer...... there are many other manufactures I'd look at before buying anything. So tell us, what do you want out of a trailer?

If you're working with the bidding process, just tell us what you want. It's pretty easy to write your spec's so that it's narrowed down to just a few.... any of which, you'd be happy with.

Good luck with your decision! :usa