• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tragic Accident

Grader4me

Last week a guy that I knew very well was killed when unloading his dozer. Without going into to much detail the dozer fell sideways off the float throwing him off and landing on him. My sincere condolences to the family as Garry was a great person.

Guys, if your dozer has roll over protection, please take the time to buckle up when loading and unloading. The extra few seconds it takes can save your life.

Last edited:

bill5362

Occupation
I own a excavation company and a rolloff container
Grader4me, sorry to hear about your friend, that is a good reminder to slow down and be safe. I'm guilty myself of not put on my seat belt sometimes when loading and unloading.

JDOFMEMI

Sorry to hear that.

Loading and unloading is one of the most dangerous acts you can do with equipment. It is even more important to follow all the safety proceedures then than normally.

It is also important to keep any bystanders (spectators) well away from the action. In addition to the possibility of the machine falling off, I have seen pieces of metal from tracks and lowbeds tossed out like bullets. I even know of one instance of a man being killed by a sliver of steel that was shot into his heart while watching a D-8K load onto a trailer.

Accidents are always a possibility, and even more so when doing things out of the ordinary, like loading onto a truck or trailer. Please think it through and follow safe procedures.
Buckle Up
Makes sure truck is level, and wheels chocked
If using ramps, make sure they are secure, and not cracked
Be aware of slick spots caused by ice, water, or oil
Use a spotter, but be sure he is not so close as to be in danger

There are others, for specific machines, but the bottom line is take the time to be careful and do it right. The few minutes you may try to save with a shortcut while loading may be the last minutes of your life.

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
this sort of thing happened to my cousin had just finished loading a trackhoe on the lowbed when to attach it back together and the trailer brakes freed up and the teactor ran him over it was horrible was scared to run a lowboy every since.

JimInOz

Condolences to the family & friends.
I was unloading a 953 from a trailer,which was NOT level.(middle of Winter/track gear slippery). As soon as I started to move the machine,it slid sideways & ended up with one track on & one off the trailer.
I was lucky enough to be able to get the machine off OK,but my gluteus maximus was holding on like never before.
I was stupid to try unloading with the trailer uneven,& the truck driver was stupid for not placing it right where it needed to be.
It's good to get the occassional scare...the type that burns into your memory bank.Unfortunately,some guys don't get a second shot....

CAT D9H

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I'm sorry to hear that ,
I never really wore a seat belt , that is until I started reading the Safety issues section here , now I always wear it
ROPS is worth their weight in gold , but when you dont use a seat belt its just extra parts on the machine

Construct'O

Occupation
Dozerwork,tiling plus many more!!!!!!!
Condolences to the family & friends.
I was unloading a 953 from a trailer,which was NOT level.(middle of Winter/track gear slippery). As soon as I started to move the machine,it slid sideways & ended up with one track on & one off the trailer.
I was lucky enough to be able to get the machine off OK,but my gluteus maximus was holding on like never before.
I was stupid to try unloading with the trailer uneven,& the truck driver was stupid for not placing it right where it needed to be.
It's good to get the occassional scare...the type that burns into your memory bank.Unfortunately,some guys don't get a second shot....

Had the same thing happen with my old D7E,foot slipped of the decel and was trying to hang on was trying to get both feet on the brakes enough to stop it,i threw it in netrual finally.

Things happens fast sometimes.I still remember how hard it felt when the dozer hit the frozen ground.Amazing the feel of all that dead weight hitting the ground.Sure jarred my teeth and back:usa