• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tractor with trailer or dump truck?

trombeur

tractor with trailer or dump truck?
hello sorry for the unprofessional question, I happened by chance to see videos that in certain construction sites certain quarries or earthmoving works in the countryside and farm, instead of using traditional tipper trucks, let's say the classic three-axle 6 x4 wheel drive or some dumper off-road I was saying, large powerful tractors are used, I believe various gearboxes that tow large trailers such as dump trucks to transport earth, gravel, stones and high waste material, what do you think of this solution? you do not think that it is much more effective and economical to use a classic tipper truck than a slower and clumsier tractor than the more agile and fast truck, what do you think that has defects and economic performance? thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2022-2-21_8-27-28.png
    upload_2022-2-21_8-27-28.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

southernman13

Occupation
Retired
I’ve been thinking of building something like this. Definitely has its place in hard to get areas rough terrain etc. we just did a job it would have worked good on. Cool product. !!

OTG AuGres

Occupation
Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
I’ve got a setup as you describe, albeit a little smaller. JD4066R and Berkelman’s 4 ton dump with oversize off road tires. Bought it specifically for work on our hunting property. It does a great job. For me, much better than trying to find an affordable dump truck and maintaining it.

trombeur

do you think it is a good solution? maybe for the country roads, which in your opinion is the best strongest and most reliable trailer on the market right now, which central or side axle conformation? thank you.

OTG AuGres

Occupation
Hobbiest - Forestry and Wildlife Management
That's a slick little trailer in OTG's video!
They make a lot bigger models. Mine is matched to my tractor and is about the right size when its loaded full. It dumps pretty fast using tractor hydraulics. The tailgate pops off pretty easy which is nice for carrying logs or bigger boulders.

skyking1

I think that trailer is great I wouldn't want a bigger one on that tractor for sure. I might be boring and all, but I always think about what it takes to stop something and I don't see any brakes on these rigs. Surge brakes are evil when you're trying to back up a hill so that's not really a good option. It's one thing to drag a can behind a tractor, you can always sell the can and tear up the haul road if something goes wrong. No harm but a few passes with the grader or dozer.
On the other hand if you got a big trailer load of stuff and you're in the usual competition of trying to beat Han Solo's time on the Kessel run, something goes wrong and there's nothing to sell but you!

Delmer

It seems tractor dump trailers are popular in the UK and western Europe. A lot of them used red (untaxed) diesel, that is ending for construction in the UK, so I bet there will be fewer of them used. They're also dealing with shorter distances and more built up environments. In the US, we'd be shocked to see a tractor pulling a dump trailer on the road away from a farm, even if it's perfectly legal.

trombeur

https://www.constructionequipment.com/first-articulated-dump-trucks
https://webbline.co.nz/why-tractor-trailers-are-better-for-earthmoving/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulated_hauler
thanks for the clarification and the report, a friend told me that in reality the articulated frame dumper derives from the marriage of the tractor with the dumper trailer, I think made by volvo from moxly or jcb I don't remember well, they told me a stupid thing?

half-pipe-dump-trailer-krampe-hp20.jpg

Square-sk-dump-trailer-1.jpg

Delmer

Dump trailers go back to ox carts, so I don't put a whole lot of weight on the "first", or the inventor. They were developed as materials and production allowed. Not so much any pioneer that created something that hadn't been thought of before. Le Tourneau had lots of crazy ideas, and did them: https://www.constructionequipment.com/origins-modern-articulated-dump-truck

It is fascinating how common end dump trailers are in UK farming maybe all of Europe, compared to gravity boxes, evolved into grain carts, and belly dump trailers, into augers or grain legs and bins in the US and Canada.

I wonder how much of the use of tractors and dump trailers instead of articulated trucks is tied to the specialization? as in the "price of parts" thread, greater specialization allows the seller more pricing power. Also as in the move away from graders to tractor drawn grader blades, partly the lower need for fleets of large specialized machines, and partly the "Idiocracy" of lack of skilled labor leads to simpler solutions. That is, easier for a small or medium contractor to have a newer tractor and newer dump trailer and grader blade, then to maintain the older version of an articulated dump truck and motorized grader.

I have to admit that it's easy to be jealous of those trailers.

trombeur

thank you for your opinion and your clarifying comments, I believe that currently for a big earthmoving job even if in the countryside if the weather is dry and it has not rained heavily turning the ground into a swamp, rent a 3 axle 4 x 6 wheel dump truck tractor is ideal, the tractor is more powerful but more clumsy and slow the three-axle is perfect more agile fast and powerful even faster than the 4-axle it has then carried, better to make a few more trips than to stay nailed and stuck in the ground I'm wrong , What do you think about it?'

1280x720-industrias-baco-2.jpg

Volvomad

We use tractors and dump trailers for field or site work instead of articulated dump trucks. Road trucks would not travel 1/3 of the time here as it rains from time to time. The lack of a tapered body would retain more muck. Dual wheels would be a disaster when leaving a site with out a hard core area. Articulated dump trucks are no longer legal on the road as far as I know so should be moved by loloader. We have other work requiring tractors so they are multipurpose machines. Road trucks are cheaper to run on the road , the longer the run ,the more uneconomical the tractor gets but if either the load or tip site is unable to support or is too tight for trucks then a tractor and trailer or rehandling material or bringing in unwanted hard core are the options.

trombeur

astra.png dumper astra.png

thank you for your precious intervention. I would be kind and courteous to attach some photos of some tractors and trailers that you use for earthmoving transport. Thank you and sorry if I disturbed you.
IMG_0692_lg.png

IMG_4492.jpg

5F2EB7E2.jpg

?????????

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
https://www.constructionequipment.com/first-articulated-dump-trucks
https://webbline.co.nz/why-tractor-trailers-are-better-for-earthmoving/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulated_hauler
thanks for the clarification and the report, a friend told me that in reality the articulated frame dumper derives from the marriage of the tractor with the dumper trailer, I think made by volvo from moxly or jcb I don't remember well, they told me a stupid thing?

half-pipe-dump-trailer-krampe-hp20.jpg

Square-sk-dump-trailer-1.jpg

I think these Krampe trailers with the single lift cylinder in the front would be easy to tip over in rough ground. It is hard to keep an end dump trailer upright, I couldn't imagine being on uneven ground like these would likely often be and not seeing them flip. The ADT style with hyd. cylinders on both sides of the trailer is a much better design, especially on uneven ground.

skyking1

Those rubber tracked dozers above are very handy, and very expensive to keep running. Best to use those when nothing else will work.

trombeur

wagon-dumper-png.254582

in rete ho visto che molti produttori fanno rimorchi ribaltabili e carri dumper sono tutti uguali credo copiati, credo che i più robusti simili ai veri dumper siano i : HOLMES -e MISKIN DUMP WAGON?

on the net I have seen that many manufacturers make tipper trailers and wagon dumpers are all the same I think copied, I believe that the most robust similar to real dumpers are the mistake

Attachments

• wagon dumper.png
    wagon dumper.png
    890.1 KB · Views: 103

Volvomad

Single cylinder tipping a rigid dumper body should have no bearing on stability unless the back hinge pins are black wore out.
When trailers were made of angle iron and sheeted with would, 2 cylinders made a big difference.

trombeur

would you kindly have some photos or pictures of the dumper wagon you mentioned above thank you what brand and model they were, thanks again sorry for the trouble.

upload_2022-2-25_11-16-7.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-2-25_11-16-7.png
    upload_2022-2-25_11-16-7.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 0