• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

tractor with trailer or dump truck?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Single cylinder tipping a rigid dumper body should have non stability unless the back hinge pins are black wore out.
When trailers were made of angle iron and sheeted with would, 2 cylinders made a big difference.

I would disagree. Supporting the lift on both sides of the tub will stabilize the tub both when material sticks in the tub during the lift and while uneven ground. The single cylinder is no different than standing on a pogo stick. It works, but it is not as stable as standing on two pongo sticks, especially with a long cylinder. I am not an engineer, so there is that. I have watched several end dumps tip over and both times the sway at the top, created by uneven or in the other case wet material sticking to the side of the tub, tips the trailer to the side that sticks. Having two cylinders would provide more stability at the top of the lift cycle. Perhaps with these trailers being smaller it is less of an issue, but since you cant always pick your job sites, I would rather have a twin cylinder system than a single lift ram.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
These seem like they can be a very efficient way of moving material over rough terrain, IF the operation is sound. On the very first video posted, I counted the material being moved 4 times before it was loaded onto the transport trailer. I don't know how you can be profitable like that!!

Volvomad

Unless you have a very good flow divider (which I have never seen on a tipping circuit) the cylinders are T eed together so it will not stop a flexible body from twisting if the load is uneven unless they are at full extension .It may reduce it slightly at best and act like a shock absorber if you get cyclic twisting. Take the pogo stick, put a c saw on top with a small shock absorber on the c saw and sorted . Twin cylinders have other benefits as they can be placed closer to chassis and body framework and dividing most of the forces in 2. Would take some pics but all ours are twin ram so it looks like i am talking out my ass.(not for the first time)

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I would think that with the hyd, pressure powering both cylinders at the same time that would keep both cylinders from acting like a shock absorber and provide a consistent lift to both cylinders at the same rate. This in my mind, would keep both sides of the tub raising at the same time, and thus preventing the pogo stick example of a single cylinder lift point. I get what your saying however, the side with easier lift will take more flow (due to the T) and thus not stop the twisting, but likely exaggerate it. Well as I stated, I am not an engineer, barely a dirt guy so there is my disclaimer. Thanks for squaring me away.

icestationzebra

Flow dividers can cause issues too, depending on what design they are. If it is a valve style it can get stuck biased to one cylinder, so now it is twisting the bed on purpose. Rotary style can act as pressure intensifiers in some situations. They can also make it harder to bleed the air out, add restriction to the circuit slowing down the cycle time, would be out of sync if one cylinder leaks more than the other and obviously add some cost. I think it comes down to KISS principle. ISZ

Delmer

KISS, unofficial motto of the US Navy, I've been told. Could do a lot worse.

trombeur

100_9251-1280x900.jpg

100_9252-1200x899.jpg

100_9255-1200x899.jpg

CANTONI_005-480x480.jpg

in some dumpers used for the transport of rocks I have noticed they have a pantograph hinge like a big hinge, I don't know what you call it technically, but I think it is very useful for guiding the body when climbing and unloading the body wrong ??
cassone ribaltabile.png