• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Tracks

nobbie

Hi All
Simply need a little guidance as this old 14 tonne cat e140 is dragging its bum around and as there are several faults i am wondering what to start with,.

It is as though the left track brake is dragging or not getting into a faster speed as the right track and whilst going backwards up a slight incline they rattle and chatter and sound terrible but a little more throttle as in flat out the chatter stops a little but is still there.
Have not had it that long and as there are about only four bottom rollers that seem to look ok on each side so realise that is not helping ,the planetary drive gears were dry both sides but thankfully looked to still have half a cup or so in them so i think i caught them in time.

I swapped track reliefs but the left side is still weaker and it seems like that the left wont go until you start the right track moving and then away she goes.

The bushes are worn but i have used worse the sprockets seem ok but ive not measured them.

So do i get rollers fixed first or reseal the slew rotary joint or pull the track motor apart.

Thanks in advance

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
The rotary joint would be the first place to look.
Where about's is Oz are you?

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
nobbie, check the track tension, if one side is tighter than the other it can cause the same problem.

nobbie

Are you allowed to swear on this forum because since i rebuilt the pump for the second time the back pump blew.
I took the pump reg off and was greeted by pretty little bronze buttons and a snapped piston cage.
There is a gully full of snakes just below where it broke and i felt like throwing myself in there and biting the heads off a couple.
This rear pump controls the track that was down a bit ,slew and bucket.
The front pump has a dedicated case drain whilst the back releives through the housing so am guessing that excess case pressure caused slippers to float.
Funny thing as i was cleaning a dam out and the silt was very heavy with a large bucket on the bucket relief was starting to squeal a bit so perhaps that was also a contributing factor.
Me old mate dva may be able to help me out as he did last time.