• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track Sag Measuring Tool - easy DIY build

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
I just put a new set of rails and sprockets on my Lamtrac. I've been pretty bad about keeping up with the suggested track sag on the last set and I think that may have accelerated the wear by keeping them too loose and allowing too much side twisting. Years ago I had made a quick tool to measure my track sag for a smaller machine. That same tool is still long enough for the larger machine so I've started trying to be more diligent about setting the proper sag.

I thought that many here on HEF might have an interest in a quick, easy to use tool to measure track sag. For my machines, sag is measured from front idler to first carrier roller. I have a max and min mark on the ends of the riveted piece. It's nothing more that 1.25" x 0.125 aluminum flat stock. It's simple, it's cheap, it works and it stays on the machine so when I grease in the AM, I can check to adjust my tracks. I use air powered greasers so I just hold the measuring tool in place and add grease until I am within the measuring points if the trag sag was too low. Most often, I check after the machine is loaded on the truck deck where it's flat and just pulled a slope to get there.

I hope this idea is of value to someone else. It works great for me and saves precious time.

IMG_20211015_101307[1].jpg IMG_20211015_101346[1].jpg