• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track question.

crosswind

Has anyone ever tried to install the track without splitting it. Mine is off now as well as the sprocket and indler. Just wondered if it is possible to slide the spocket in after, or any other trick someone may know.

thebaz

I would imagine it would be easier to split the track if you already have the sprocket and idler off, than to try and fit the track assembled. If your pins and bushes are worn and your track starts to walk off, there are techniques to use so you can walk the track back on, but if you pins are good this would put a lot of strain on everything. Fitting the track and then the idler and then the sprocket may be possible, but sound very difficult to me.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
I have slid the track back on a John Deere 120 when it came off the idler and fell to the inside.The chains were pretty worn .But it is possible.Get it back n the sprocket first.Than work it on with come alongs and chains or a forklift.It will tak some time but itcan be done.But if you have the optionto split the track it is much easier.

Wardiker

Occupation
excavator owner, trencher owner
Ive had my track come off the idler a few times, what I did was the following: Raise that side off the ground and block it. Slowly undo the tension grease fitting, then using a large block of wood ( I used a log cut about 3 feet long) use the bucket to press the wood against the idler and bring it inwards.
Then put a chain on the bucket, attach to the track and gently pull it back on while turning the track very slowly . Took about 15 minutes worked like a charm. Then tighten the grease fitting and bring the tension back.
The 1st time it happened I had an excavator mechanic visiting up the street that showed me, all credit goes to him.

crosswind

Thanks guys. Thats what I was thinking if I compress my tensioner I could possibly slip it on and then not have to split the track. The chain is in excellent shape with little to no wear so I know I am not going to have much slack to play with. If it looks like too much trouble I will split it . Thanks again.

crosswind

Well guys I was able to install the track without splitting it.First I installed my track tensioner and idler, then I used the excavator to compress the tensioner. I then removed my top roller for more clearance. I used my skidsteer to lift the track and place it over the rear sprocket, then did the same with the front idler. It took a little work moving it around and so forth, but it was actually pretty simple.This track is like new with no wear at all.
After it was in place on the sprocket and idler I lifted the track in the center and installed my top roller, then tightened the track adjuster to specs.
The skidsteer with forks on it was a big help.

Thanks for all the advice, this is a great forum with tons of advice.

Last edited: