• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track Idler TD7G/TD8G

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I was shoveling the goo from the undercarriage of my TD7G today. As always I pried on idlers, and other moving components to determine wear. The upper mid track idler on right came off in my hand. Way too muddy where it's stored to see what's wrong. I'll go back as soon as it gets cold, or dries out.
I'm sitting here studying the parts book, and service manual.
The book covers TD7G, TD8G, and 100G and 125G loaders. The two manuals both specify the TD7G has 6" pitch, 15" shoes.
The TD8G has 6-1/2" pitch, 16" shoes. Parts nightmares before, and information from Reggie Luzier best informed parts man anywhere, suggests my undercarriage is TD8G. Would they have changed the whole assembly, including top idler, or just track chain, shoes, and sprocket? How do I tell?

Willie

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . .

Guday Willie B.

This is another classic case of component name confusion . . . it's no biggie but here in Australia that doofus is a 'support roiller' or 'carrier roller', the term 'idler' applies to the big sucker in the track frame . . . it always helps to talk the talk when you're shopping around for bits.

Cheers.

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I apologize for my ignorance. I got the term from the service manual. It's the one in the middle carrying the track while it is being lazy. I'm a beginner who's lived with somebody else's crawlers most of sixty years.

Willie

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
I'm an electrician. I'm forced to be multilingual. A code book calls it a luminaire, customers call them lights, suppliers call them fixtures. Sometimes they are outlets, or lighting outlets. That's one item.

I talked to Reggie Lusier today, at Winmill. He quickly figured out what I need I'll have it in a couple days. The mismatch of TD7G or TD8G didn't intimidate him at all.

Willie

Labparamour

Think I've heard of them as "return idlers."
Anyway, glad you have parts coming. Would pitch affect rollers or just drive sprockets?

DB

g_man

Occupation
Retired
Willie. if it will help I can take some measurements of what I have on my TD7G. Did the bearings fall apart or did you pull stub axel out of the clamp block ??

EDIT - I'm a slow typer. Two replies while I was pecking away. Glad you are all set !!
gg

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
Bearing came apart. I doubt it had been long in the process of failure. I clean each use, and mud, and grass mix to form a nasty fibrous mess I have to work at to clean out. I'm always in there with a shovel chopping at the stuff to clear it. My son is involved with his father in law in a sugar making operation. the ruts were pretty deep. I had been back dragging the mess to flatten, hoping it'd either dry, or freeze. There was an unusual build up of mud reinforced with grass. I have a sense the stuff got in behind, and popped the snap ring off the end of the stub shaft. Reggie says the cost of buying rebuild parts exceeds the price of a whole assembly. He believes somebody, whether the Koreans, or a subsequent owner made the change in mine. It is 6.5" pitch chain, 16" shoes, and matching sprocket. Everything else would match the parts book. My parts book, and service manual were revised in February 1988. I believe the tractor was built later than that. Maybe the 6.5 was a factory change the parts book never mentioned.

Am I correct that yours is 15" shoes, and 6" pitch? I wonder how far apart the serial numbers are?

I'm thinking it is likely the change was after the first set wore out. Mine was rubbing on blade angle cylinders when I bought it. I had to go in and fix the front idler guides to tighten up the idler. As it is I've got about an inch of clearance at the hydraulic cylinders. The 16" shoes use up some of the narrow clearance.

Willie

Willie B

Occupation
Electrician
New part arrived today, it is installed. Took about an hour. It proved much simpler to fix than I imagined. I'd compare it to changing a flat tire.

Thanks everybody.

Willie