• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Track adjustment

Ridgerunner1

I have a cat 304. I found a good set of used tracks, everything matches except I'ts 74 links, mine is 72 links. Is there enough adjustment to use the longer tracks?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That's a big jump. If they are the same pitch, the adjuster cylinder will be all to way at the end of its stroke and the tracks will still be loose. You can cut a couple of links out and make it work. I'd probably take one and try it and if still too long take the second one out.

Ridgerunner1

That's a big jump. If they are the same pitch, the adjuster cylinder will be all to way at the end of its stroke and the tracks will still be loose. You can cut a couple of links out and make it work. I'd probably take one and try it and if still too long take the second one out.
John, Thanks for the help, however these are rubber tracks

Vetech63

Like John said, that's a huge jump. It is unlikely your idler/tension cylinder has enough stroke to tighten them enough to keep them on. You could add shim blocks to your idler yoke as I have seen in the past, but you will be pushing your idler out way past the rail frame and cause severe wear.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
You mentioned links in your first post. Rubber tracks are not usually spoken of in terms of track links.