• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Toyota Diesel forklift, white smoke at idle. All else good.

fastline

Fork was recently acquired. Seems to run excellent everywhere. Idles good, good power, revs up good, etc. However, we have whitish smoke mostly at idle or that is when it is most noticeable. I notice a slight miss when it first fires but gets leveled out in maybe 20sec. Engine has 5000ish hours and has obvious blowby but not like an OMG rooster shooting out. We changed out the fuel because it smelled strange and figured either the fuel was really bad or someone juiced it up with crap. We were thinking along the lines of valve adjust, pump timing, etc but not looking to waste time on things that won't source the smoke problem. I really could be low compression but then again, valve clearance can certainly do that!

This is a 2H non turbo engine and cannot find much about them at all so no clue how often it needs the valves run.

the engine takes a little cranking on cold starts but I got to looking and the way the glows are wired, they only get power when the key is in the crank position. There is no other way currently, but that could be changed.

I tested the entire rail of glows together and showing them as a dead short or 0.0ohms to ground. I am unsure of what the resistance should be but at 24V, but that could be correct as I am figuring less than an ohm each maybe and I was testing all 6 together.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Could be a single glowplug or two bad, would be best to unfasten the power rail from them and ohm check each one individually... I think they should each be a few ohms.... all connected together however will be around 1 ohm, depending on the meter you are using it might not show range very good but should still show something other than 0.0.... what happens when you connect meter leads together(short)?.

One other thing check coolant level and does the exhaust at idle smell like antifreeze?

fastline

No, its not burning coolant. I know that smell well. No signs of a head gasket problem here.

My Fluke meter reads accurately to .1ohms, below that and I have to switch to my low ohms meter but 0ohms concerns me. I will probably open the rail to check further. Was VERY surprised to see there is not circuit protection on the glow wiring. I guess maybe the relay has something built into it but that would be it.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
Good to hear on the anti freeze smell :) I have seen a few other machines with the white smoke symptoms turn out to be head gasket failure.

m16ty

Sounds like a injectior problem to me. Old fuel in there and sitting for awhile tends to foul up injectors. I'd pull them and have them tested.

The miss at startup could be a glow plug, or it could also be an injector. Glow plugs have nothing to do with the smoke at idle.